Ford Focus '03 - Rear Brake Squeal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had my rear brakes replaced last summer and since they've been slightly squealy. I obtained a couple of opinions and it's come down to three options: they're cheap, they need a clean or vibration-dampening weights need to be glued to the backing plates. I left it to not spend a fortune on my car and the performance wasn't compromised but it's really winding me up and embarrassing now.

Having a look online, the latter is an official release by Ford for Focus' from 00-05 as it is known that squealing happens as the plates are too light. It makes sense that it's since happened once the brakes were replaced as these would've been removed. Has anybody here heard of this? Will a mechanic know how to undertake this if I ask? Or look at me blankly. I've looked online and I cannot find the weights anywhere, unless they're custom. My knowledge of cars is limited so I don't want to look like an idiot or be taken for a mug!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I presume you are talking about rear discs here, rather than drums?
Some coppaslip grease on the back of the new pads is all you normally need.
I've no idea about vibration anti damping weights....could you post a link?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Totally new to me, this one - and it seems to be investigated by our American colleagues.
If the car was mine, I'd remove the drums, remove the glaze within with emery cloth and do the same with the shoes - renewing the shoes if there was any doubt about them. All brake dust must be removed, of course.
I've worked on many a Focus, of all years - and I've never come across this before, or heard one squeal on the road!
John :)

Back