Ford focus 99 1.6 Petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

I just wanted to double check a diagnosis.

First very cold night and naturally my car decided it would rather be a garden ornament this morning.

Engine turned over very slowly and sluggishly but failed to start, went for a second attempt and que the rapid clicking from the starter solenoid.

First thoughts are the battery draining power in the cold, matches the fact that it was very slugish on crack and then failed afterwards.

Other posts around are saying the starter motor, i'm ruling this out because it attempted to start but lacked the juice to wake up?

Going to 'walk' to the shop and grab a multimeter. Can anyone let me know what voltage i should be looking for?

Also what would differ between a battery that just needs a jump, and a dead battery?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
When you connect your meter up, you'll probably see a healthy voltage, maybe over 12v.
Ignore that - it's the cranking voltage that's important and that shouldn't fall much below 11v.
Once the engine is running, expect around 14.4v with the lights on.
John :)

It's a fact of life, Craig, that car batteries can fail without warning and without any obvious deterioration over a few weeks.
A motor factor will be happy to test your battery for you, and be even happier to sell you a new one.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like a flat battery to me, The cold weather soon shows up any faulty batteries.

Standing battery measured at 11.9V

Whilst attempting to crank it dropped to <10

New batt on its way!

Back