Framed versus Non-framed kitchen unit doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm flipping through the B&Q catalogue and noticed that framed doors are more expensive than non-framed doors.

Can anyone list the characteristics which account for this price difference?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've never bought a kitchen before.

Sponsored Links
Extra work involved as they have to be assembled, more wastage, therefor more cost.

All kitchens from B&Q come flat packed. The framed kitchens (fairly obvious) have a frame that fixes to the front of the base and wall units. Doors for these then fit inside this frame. They are more expensive as it's an extra part to add to the kitchen. They use slightly different hinges too which are dearer than standard hinges.
B&Q kitchens are only as durable as the person who owns the kitchen. A family with young children may find that the durability is affected by kids trying to swing off doors etc. A dog owner might find their mutt likes the flavour of the doors,, in which case the doors will soon be useless.
Kitchen units are probably the most abused piece of furniture in houses these days. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
non standard hinges eh?

I bet that will be a nuisance in years to come when they need changing or replacing.

When I say non standard hinges, I didn't mean they are difficult to come across. I meant they are slightly different to the standard hinges that come with B&Q kitchens. ;) ;)

A B & Q framed door is made with an outer frame made with real timber for the dearer doors or m d f frame for the cheaper, thay both have an inner panel made from mdf or real timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back