Free Standing Cooker Conundrum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
my current cooker is finally starting to dis-assemble its self!
Can anyone recommend a good, 55cm wide, free standing gas cooker with an eye level grill please?
Could you also steer me away from any particular bad ones!
Many thanks,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Hi Slime,
I got a new Hotpoint 50 cm electric cooker from the Co-op at www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk about a year ago. It's only 500 wide but does the job. It's also got solid rings sealed into the top and thats not bad if you use wirewool to clean around them. I liked the old quick heat rings and replaced them a couple of times on my old cooker, don't know whether I'll be able to do that on the new one, probably someone will say it's against the latest regs anyway.

But go to the co-op, I found them quite good and helpful.

Peter

Hotpoint HUG61G (or Cannon Harrogate) but they are 60cm not 55.

Surprisingly they are the same cooker apart from the fascia and name badge, made in the same factorey. The Cannon is a bit dearer. They are both also available with gas hob and electric ovens (they are dual oven so the electric ones need a cooker circuit not a plug). The electric oven is better

Can you make it fit?

Unfortunately not.
55cm is the maximum size, any other suggestions?

Slime.

Sponsored Links
no Which best buys in 55cm gas, but the Belling G552 scores reasonably well.

New World G55T was also tested but quite a way down the scoring table.

The Stoves DF550 was better but is dual-fuel.

No eye-level grills these days.

There are some 50cm gas best buys, but I would find them a bit small
(best first)

Zanussi
ZCG561FW £290

Indesit
KD3G2 £300-ish

Cannon
C50G £459

I have removed the colour-indicating suffixes from the model numbers

no Which best buys in 55cm gas, but the Belling G552 scores reasonably well.

New World G55T was also tested but quite a way down the scoring table.
Thats strange seeing as they are the same cooker just with a different badge on them :mrgreen:

no doubt.

the new world scored slightly lower for grill and hob performance, slightly better for ease of cleaning. I have no idea why. it says they are both poor for uneven grilling.

I can't see a glass splashback on the new world and the price is lower

It says the belling has an oven light and the nw doesn't

there is no brand reliability rating for the nw.

the door design is slightly different, the belling looks to have more glass

no doubt.

the new world scored slightly lower for grill and hob performance, slightly better for ease of cleaning.
No doubt about it, they are made in the same factory using the same burners, hotplates, etc etc I know this as I had 6 years working for them, how they could get different scores for these things is laughable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back