freeview/ ariel prob

OK- got my BBc channels back- all with correct numbers.
BBC1 came on perfect picture and sound - 62% signal strength and 90% quality.
All other channels had same signal readings too.
Then- 10 mins later- bbc went off-- signal strength 57% and signal quality 0 %.
You need to determine what is happening after 10 minutes. Something warming up? Something switching on or off? Something timing out?

I thought about that Sam--but-the aerial is connected straight to the tv-via attenuator and freeview. Nothing else with any sort of 'time out' connected.
About 3 hours ago- I took the 'high faluting' !! fancy high gain aerial off and put on the old one out of my loft.
Wiped all channels and re-installed with attenuator wound down. Programms came back but with no bbc. so repeated the exersize with attenuator turned up.
Got all channels -no probs 'except one' !!. BBC channels were back on- but is BBC wales .
Left it on for last 3 hours- and nothing goes off like it did with big aerial.
My conclusion is- Sam got it right- regarding too much gain to freeview box--because as sam said- the signal strength was bouncing up and down on BBC channels.
maybe my next move is to keep re-programing until BBC proper comes back on ?. Also not plugging the aerial in until lower channels have been passed on re-prog?.
Also- maybe I just need a simple upgrade of aerial -- a sort of 'in between' aerial of my old simple one - new high gain one ?..

ps- I know this may seem a bit boring to people- but if any info gained on here helps someone- then it's all to the good .

Sponsored Links
I know this may seem a bit boring to people- but if any info gained on here helps someone- then it's all to the good .
Feedback is always welcome. Most people don't bother to say "thanks" but they'll be glad of the answer!

The aerial I use - and the one I usually recommend, because I've had such good results on my house, my mother's house and a couple of friends and neighbours (in different towns) is the Vision "Focus" V10-040 Log-Periodic. It has a substantially flat gain across the UHF band. The gain isn't especially high but this is balanced by good immunity to unwanted interference. It's not horrifically expensive and it might help.

See info. here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/best_aerial.htm

I still think you may be suffering from interference. If you divulge your full postcode I can look up the transmitters to see if there's anything obvious.

See if your TV has tuned in BBC up in the "800+" channel numbers.

Thank you for the info Sam- especially the aerial info.
However- I must add that we have 2 tv sets downstairs running on freeview and both aerials are in the loft- and they work just fine .
The problem tv is upstairs and now the aerial is on the roof.
I just had to turn myself off from the problem for a day or 2 -- was sick of it.

I will try a re-scan on auto and make sure the aerial is unplugged up to about channel 52 and then promptly plug it in and see what that brings.

Just cant face it right now though- but maybe tomorrow or day after- will give it a go..
Thanks again- info is much appreciated .

However- I must add that we have 2 tv sets downstairs running on freeview and both aerials are in the loft- and they work just fine .
In that case, use just one of them to feed ALL the TV sets via a splitter! Why are you messing with an aerial outside if a loft aerial is fine??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Sam- but right now- I am becoming very fluent in Welsh !!.
Pic is very clear- - no mixed up pixels--sounds great too.
Just have to get used to the 'best looking sheep' channel- is interesting.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back