freeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when the grandson starts his computer up,desktop comes up as usual,but when he try's to open internet explorer it just hangs there and won't do anything and that apply's to everything else. he's tried rebooting but it's the same all the time.could it be the processor.?

Sponsored Links
Is it just I.E that causes this?

When you say freeze, does it totally freeze i.e. no mouse pointer movement or no sound from the on board speaker.

If so it can be a sign of overheating, and a good vac of the motherboard and some heatsink compound on the processor can sort this.

I'd be surprised if it were overheating so soon after boot up (if he opens IE prety much straight away, that is). If it were overheating I'd suspect a failed fan rather than straight dust accumulation.

You could try checking the event log to see if an error has been raised. It may give you a lead. If there are any errors you could perhaps post them here if you need any help with determining if they're relevent and how to fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

until i bring round to my house and get it set up here i really havn't a clue,but i will get back on this soon as i can.cheers.

Sponsored Links
ok...i.ve got it set up at my place...and still no joy, i tried to do a system restore, it was turned off so i turned it back on, but it just hangs there and won't turn back on. i'm beginning to suspect that the grandson as been messing with the settings but just won't admit it, and with it just freezing all the time how do you put it right

At least now we know it's not just Internet Explorer causing the lock-ups.

How long does it take to freeze once it's been switched on? If you can open the case, can you see if all of the fans inside the case are spinning when the box is switched on? If not then something could be overheating.

Honestly, the possibilities are endless. If you can get to the event viewer it'll help alot to determine what's going on. You could be having a hard drive failure - if so, there should be some evidence in the event log.

Could also be a power supply problem, graphics card problem, memory problem, CPU problem, motherboard problem, etc, etc, etc. Any one of these might cause the symptonms you're seeing.

As for resetting any settings he's changed, well it depends what he might have changed. Anything that would cause the symptoms you're experiencing I would suspect would have been changed in the BIOS, not something you can do from within Windows. There's usually an option within the BIOS to load failsafe settings or something worded similar. You could try that and see if it makes a difference, but it's all a stab in the dark really.

When I'm presented with similar problems, I usually have some "spares" so I can do some troubleshooting, swapping out the key hardware components and see if any one of them (or a combination) is causing the problem. You might eventually need to take it to a PC repair shop, if you know of a reputable one in your area.[/quote]

Back