French door threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're going to replace our sliding patio door with french doors. The surveyor came round and lifted up the step board and recommended replacing it.
IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

TBH there's a lot of cold air that came through and I sealed it up with Dow Corning as recommended in this >thread<

We were recommended to replace it with hardwood or MDF, and to avoid duropal as it will likely bend especially with the sun (it's south facing). I was hoping for some sort of white upvc type thing which would blend with the patio door.

What's the best option and should I do anything to the flooring prior to fitting a hardwood or MDF panel?

Sponsored Links
It looks like you originally had French doors with a dwarf wall on either side.
At some point the homeowner (you?) had a patio door installed and the dwarf wall was knocked out
My home was the same, but the missing wall was filled in (badly) with concrete

What I did was to remove all the remaining parquet that originally led to the door, chipped out the concrete and recast the floor to the correct height to add reclaimed parquet

You could do that or the same, only fitting one large hardwood chunk to. Fill the gap

It looks like you originally had French doors with a dwarf wall on either side.
The floorboard gap is too narrow for french doors. When I've looked at other houses in the vicinity (before buying this one), most houses had either just a window or sliding patio doors for this room.

At some point the homeowner (you?) had a patio door installed and the dwarf wall was knocked out
Not me - we've been here a total of three years and the only major work so far is a new driveway.

My home was the same, but the missing wall was filled in (badly) with concrete

What I did was to remove all the remaining parquet that originally led to the door, chipped out the concrete and recast the floor to the correct height to add reclaimed parquet

You could do that or the same, only fitting one large hardwood chunk to fill the gap
The problem is that the same carpet runs through the ground floor of the house, so I'd need to hide it in some way. There are airbricks under that patio door so I'm wary of filling in with concrete as I imagine it would interfere with airflow under the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
That would of been a single door not french doors, yes to dwarf walls and a window each side, what you have is a very common converstion back in the day 80/90s. Due to possible draughts blowing through the cavity I'd fill as much of the cavity with rockwool or similar. Threshold wise we always used to put down brazilian mahogany, its tough and takes stain well, whatever you put down will get stood on so you want something that can be refinished when required, pvc will look great for a month and then have dirty scratches in it, durapol a bit more longer lasting but will eventually mark, never known them to delaminate though although possible in south facing elevations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back