French doorsinplace of window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove an existing window and open the wall up for French doors. I reckon this sholdnt be to difficult as the lintel is already in place. I'm looking for general points to consider. Can I cut the opening with an angle grinder or should I hire one of those chain saws and cut boath the inner and outer walls at the same time. What do I need to do in way of additioal DPC. At floor level how do I bridge the ap between in the inner and outer walls. Do I need to brick up the void where I have removed the wall. What else should I consider before starting.

Cheers
Colin

Sponsored Links
Before you do any work you should seek building control regs at your local council .

Tony......

I done the same and had to get retro permission when i sold my house .

I'm doing the same job now, it's worth asking your planning dept that it's OK to use that opening as a doorway in case there are any restrictions i.e. if that's going to be your fire escape. In my case there was no problem but worth checking.

Building regs will be required unless you have a FENSA company install the doors.

I've been told to use an Arbortech AS160 cutter to cut the wall and am looking into this - it's less dusty, quicker and safer, I'm told. Call 0800 980 99 99 for details and nearest hire centre.

All the best,
P.J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back