French Drain - Is it worth it? What is the risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I added onto an old post recently but felt it would be better to create a new post for this issue.

Basically I have issue with my semi detached house where the outside ground is to high, causing only a small gap between the DPC and the outside ground some places. The ground surrounding the house is concrete.

I had a builder come round and he suggested installing a 'French Drain' around the property. I did not know much on this term and so looked it up on the web. The price is a few hundred pounds for the work around the 3 walls of the property but I wondered as to whether anyone else had done this and what were their thoughts.

My concern is what would an inspector say if we came to sell the house with this installed. At present there is no sign of damp and so I waying up installing the French Drain or ripping the concrete up and starting again. Obviously one is a lot cheaper than the other.

Many thanks all for taking the time to read this post.

Sponsored Links
It's a common solution to the problem, as for the inspector coming round maybe you should ask one before having it done. Ask Thermo, he used to be one* ;)

Risks? Well it might start smelling strongly of onions, but on the plus side, it will eat any snails which might stray close to your property.

* You mean surveyor?

Cheers Deluks for the information below. The French Drain is something I had never really heard of and so was reluctant to go ahead without knowing a little more.

Hopefully Thermo or someone else could comment on the Surveyors query.

Yep I did mean Surveyor, what a numpty! I really should learn to proof read my messages before I submit them.

Still not as bad when I wrote 'sorry for your incontinence' - when i meant 'sorry for your Inconvenience' - at least the user saw the funny side of things!

Sponsored Links
PhilDonnelly said:
Still not as bad when I wrote 'sorry for your incontinence' - when i meant 'sorry for your Inconvenience' - at least the user saw the funny side of things!

:LOL:

As for Thermo, he wasn't a surveyor. He was an inspector, as in Corner of the Yard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back