Fridge not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fridge that isn't getting cold (Baumatic bl18a).

When I turn on the switch inside the fan comes on and the compressor starts up.I have taken out the thermostat and when I put a test meter on the terminals and switched on and I get a circuit and lose the circuit when I switch off.To me in my ignorance it should be working. could the thermostat still be faulty because of, say the cappillary pipe that is connected to it is fualty or is there something else in the circuit somewhere that is causing the problem.

Before I took out the thermostat I left the fridge running for some time and kept cheking the compressor to see if it was still working and it was and it was quite hot, which I think it should be to evaporate the water that comes out of the drain hole inside the fridge. I have had to buy another fridge but I am loathe to throw this away if is something and nothing.I did consider biting the bullet and getting a new thermostat to see if that cured the problem but as I said everything seems to be working alright so maybe I would be throwing money away for nothing

I am reallly at a loss with this problem and would appreciate any help to remedy the situation.

Sponsored Links
If you've already bought another fridge why bother? Do you really need 2?

When I had a fridge go wrong a few years ago - the quote just to assess it was almost the price of a new one and that was before any parts/labour.

Scrap it.

if the compressor is running, and its not cold, its surely unlikely to be the thermostat?

Thermostat controls the compressor... thermostat doesnt make it cold.

Sounds like the gas has escaped from the cooling circuit.

A fridge engineer might be able to repair the leak and re-gas the fridge, but wether this will be an economical repair?

Sponsored Links
If the compressor is running, but the fridge is not getting cold then feel the coil at the back. If it is not warm then as RF says you have no gas.
Or the compressor or valve is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back