Front Door not closing fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When I close the front door (upvc), the bolt does not sit in the hole fully. There's a rim around it and the bolt engages there (see picture) so it's very draughty. If you push the door firmly then the lock engages properly, and the rubber seals then seal properly.

Should I try moving the strike plate back a bit so theres no rim for the lock to sit in, or does that part look OK?

Or should I be looking for ways to make the door easier to close eg, theres a lot of this brush type weather strip all around the door frame. Does that achieve anything? I though the brush type was for patios. And in any case it's the black rubber weather strip thats sealing the gap isn't it? So not sure if its normal to have the brush stuff there and if it potenially is making the door harder to close.

Sponsored Links
Try taking the white caps (at top of hinge) off the middle and top hinge, there should be a Allen key adjustment, you want to hinge to move the opposite way to the lock, this should ease the door going into the frame. If it still doesn't line up the door will need repacking (toe and heeling). Failing that move the keeps on the door to suit

Thanks. I can't seem to adjust the door in the right direction. Here's another picture with the caps off. I think the top bolt moves the door up and down and the side bolts move the door side to side. Theres a tiny bolt too which doesn't seem to do much, perhaps its for locking in position after adjustment?

I can't see a way to move the door in and out?

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 132
The x2 adjustments on the side of the hinge is the one you need, you'll only be able to gain 2/3mm.

Sponsored Links
Hang on, there are allen bolts underneath too. So 5 bolts per hinge. They look like these ones (see picture) so I think you were right first time, its the top ones that control the in and out direction (compression). Will have another go. I can see alignment marks as descibed in this picture.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    568.6 KB · Views: 188
OK it does work as per the picture above. The compression adjustment is tiny (less than 1mm) but setting it to max has helped, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back