front door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having trouble with my UPVC front door, to lock it you lift the handle and turn the key 360 degrees and then remove key - but the key is only turning about 345 degrees and just stopping, meaning I can't lock the door unless I leave the key in (which is okay at night when we are all in bed but not when we need to go out!).

It is the same problem locking from the inside as from the outside, and also with the door ajar or shut.

We recently had a new 3-piece delivered and the handle had to be taken off, so I'm presuming this has something to do with the problem, but it was just a case of removing 2 screws and taking off the handle.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You may have put the new handle on in the incorrect position.
Remove it with the door open and have a few trial runs before screwing it all back together.

Try forcing the handle up *slightly!* while turning the key.
If the key will then turn all the way it means that your door has probably dropped a bit and wants adjusting.

He said door open or closed.
its a rotation issue, not a dropped door.

Sponsored Links
swap the cylinder with the one in a back or side door - (if you have one)

that will tell you if it's the cylinder that needs replacing, which is good.

Rather than the mechanism, which is bad.

Thanks for all the replies

As Alarm says, it's definitely a rotation issue.

swap the cylinder with the one in a back or side door - (if you have one)

that will tell you if it's the cylinder that needs replacing, which is good.

Rather than the mechanism, which is bad.

Unfortunately my back door is a wooden one so cannot swap the cylinder. How much would a new cylinder cost and how difficult is it to change it?

thanks

Rotation as in the handles were put on with the spindle in the wrong position.
You will not in all probability need a new cylinder.

Take off the handles and try using the door until the locking devices work correctly,adjusting the handles each time.

Hi Guys

I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd update it in case anyone else is googling the same problem

finally got round to replacing the cylinder and it worked, the old one I think had been forced out of sync when we'd locked the door from the inside and left a key in and another member of the family had tried to open it from the outside.

thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back