Front fence height measurement point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice or give a concrete answer on a fence height question that I am struggling to get a clear answer for. I maybe missing the obvious here so I apologise if it is a bone question but the generic information given on the planning portal or google action is not answering my questions .

I am putting up a fence at the front of my property on my front garden area. My understanding is that as the front area butts up to a foot way and the road anything in front of the forward face of the house can be a maximum of 1m high. Does this include the fence between me and my neighbours front garden running at 90 degrees to the road as well as the section that would run parallel with the road?

Second question is the section of the fence that will run parallel to the road and front of my house is sloped. I would like to keep the fence horizontal with the house elevation rather than fitting it raked. Is the 1M height measured from the highest part of the slope, the lowest part or an average, or is it the case that at no point on the slope can the fence exceed 1M and therefore I will have to go for a raked fence?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1 metre from anywhere forward of front of house IIRC. Measured from natural ground level on your side, from neighbours if they are significantly lower. Open plan gardens are sometimes subject to article 4 directions which remove pd rights

Blup

each individual fence panel forward off the principal elevation needs to start at 1m at the higher end so stepped or slopping to follow the ground level ----or at least thats my understanding

Sponsored Links
its worth keeping in mind if its an old house and others in the road have the old regs 4ft fence that may or may not be an option as in reinstating what was once there but not exactly sure but may be worth investigating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back