Front of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi live in a mid 1970 detached house (chalet style apparently ie integral garage and one roof longer than the other) on the front of it is just wavey shaped strips of roofing felt that looked ok but are now showing their age,also there is no insulation just 4 inch batens onto the internal breeze block wall.
Some houses have had insulation and plastic cladding fitted, but I wondered whether there was some light weight roofing tiles not bothered about colour that could hang vertically instead of cladding.
Thanks for any Info

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the link but what I want is light weight tiles/slates that hang vertically.
Decra® roofing tiles are designed to provide an attractive and economic finish for all types of roof down to 10° pitch

It's the top half of the front of the house that I want sorted preferably not with plastic cladding.

beware of plastic cladding,i went to look at a job last week that had timber cladding changed to plastic cladding and now they have horrendous condensation problems inside.admittedly its a single brick construction.

Sponsored Links
can you post a photo?

My house has synthetic fibre-cement slate cladding on the weather side (I am near the sea) with the wall up to head-height having shiplap timber cladding (as it is not easily damaged or knocked off by people bumping into it).

this sort of cladding can be installed with insulation behind it. A local roofer will be familiar with the correct methods for slates or tiles (modern tiles are much heavier than slates). there are hooked-over nails and a copper washer in each slate to prevent the wind lifting them.

the tiles are hung with copper nails and need practically no maintenance or repair (steel nails will rust), but the shiplap needs to be re-stained with a water-repellent like a fence every few years. As it is only head-height this is easy (no ladder needed). The old timber cladding was vertical and the boards all went rotten at the bottom as water soaked into the end-grain.

The rigid foam insulation slabs are more effective per thickness than fibreglass wool.

View media item 4848

Hi thanks for replies
View media item 20449As you can see its the green stuff I think their called shingles that I want rid of. Problem is their on battons nailed to 4x2 timber screwed to the internal Breeze block wall,with no insulation.
So ideally like to add some insulation and just hang slates/tiles vertically but am a bit dubious about the loading on the internal breeze wall.
Don't want to go plastic if I can avoid it, so any lightweight slates tiles would be ideal.
TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back