Frozen water main....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, hope everyone is well..

we have no water here and seems to be frozen underground somewhere.

there is a steel 'water' stopcock cover outside our place and the stopcock (metal tap + metal pipes from what i can see) are about arms length down.

right next to this is a outside tap in a insulated plastic pole, which is also frozen (no water) i guess from this runs blue poly pipe underground for about 2 metes, as it comes up blue inside our place.

is there anything we can do to get it back? as its been off for about 4 days now and froze last time it went below -4.

trouble is, pipe is on private property and as is a old property, a shared pipe. no one else has had this problem locally. :confused:

Sponsored Links
the only thing u couldtry is pouring hot water down themetal cover in case thats where its frozen....a long shot but what have u got to lose??

You can only hope that the frozen bit is inside your property and that gentle heat may set it away...I would have though that the incoming main was far enough down to be protected :confused:
This has got to be one of the worst winter scenarios imaginable :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
ive tried putting a hot air gun down the hole for quite a while, that didnt work.

the poly pipe comes up in the corner of the property, so in total a few meters from stop tap and ive lagged it from there... but its not cold in here and am 99% sure its not frozen inside.

whats got me, is the outside tap has frozen too, ive tried heating the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back