fuel problem on 2000 ford focus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i have a 2000 w reg ford focus
if i let the fuel gauge go below 1/4 tank make i start to have problems with power some time it just wont pull. if i put my foot down nothing happens
just keeps slowing down.
the engine has not staled. just like loss of power
when i put more fuel in over 1/4 it fine
any ideas
please let me know
kev

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your fuel supply pipe inside the tank has a hole somewhere above quarter height and the engine is sucking some air.

Also fit a new fuel filter - they are so bloomin' awkward to get to (sandwiched between the tank and a bulkhead with a rusted screw) its often left alone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The fuel pump assembly sits in the top of the fuel tank, and the dip pipe - that draws the fuel from the bottom of the tank - is attached to that.
Access is usually below the rear seat squab.

That shouldn't be necessary but I'm not really sure. Lift out the rear seat cushion and look for a large rubber bung in the metal floor. Pull that clear.
Hopefully that will reveal two rubber pipes and some electrical cables, and these plus the fuel pump pull out when the access door is opened.
I can't remember what they look like - maybe visit a motor factor and ask him to show you the offending item. You'll need a new gasket I should think.
If all else fails, its dropping the tank I'm afraid.

i believe it may be a tank drop im afraid, did one last year on a focus but cant remember what year it was. Pig of a job!

Sponsored Links
Back