Full House Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im very much a newbie in the world of diy, but just being in the process of buying my first house, and with limited funds, i get the feeling i'll be back here a few times yet.

I need a full house rewire, and have been trying to get a rough (or even very rough) idea of how much this might cost to help me budget, (though i havent had any quotes yet, as im not ye the legal owner).

The house is a very standard 3 bed semi (in yorkshire) of average size, and all the wiring needs replacing (the wire coming down to the room lights comprises two smaller wires intertwined, so there appears to be no earth?!).

Can anyone give me a very rough idea of how much this might cost or perhaps direct me somewhere where i might find out as i dont even have a ball park figure!

Cheers.

Thanks for any help

please note 9

Sponsored Links
If a moderator see's this, you'll get a cyber slap on the wrist for asking this. However, for budgetary purposes, expect quotes in the £2-3k range.

Cheers for the info guys
Very Handy.

pna said:
If a moderator see's this, you'll get a cyber slap on the wrist for asking this.

I thought the question might be a bit in the wrong place, but youve got to be kind to the newbies!

;) ;)
;)

Ill be back with some proper diy questions later!

Sponsored Links
Tip #1: I don't know what your current living arrangements are, but if you don't have to move in immediately, i.e. the electrician can work in an unoccupied, unfurnished house then it will cost you less, as he'll be able to get on a lot quicker.

Tip #2: Specify that all buried cables are to be in oval conduit, rather than just embedded in the plaster, or under capping.

You might like to think about what circuits/sockets/switches etc you'll need, rather than just rewiring what's already there.

The items on the list below may not all apply to you, but they are worth looking at to get you thinking:

1. Upstairs ring
  2. Downstairs ring
  3. Kitchen ring
  4. Radial for appliances
  5. Cooker circuit
  6. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  7. Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  8. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  9. Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  10. Upstairs lights
  11. Downstairs lights
  12. Immersion heater
  13. Shower
  14. Alarm
  15. Supply for outside lights
  16. Supply for garden electrics
  17. Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rings run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

I'm doing a rewire this week for around £1400, including all materials, labour and a plasterer

price also includes certification

(no part p sh1t for me as I live in Scotland) :D

Just to add to what BAS said, from my TV-obsessed techno-geek point of view:

Consider having TV aerial, satellite and cable sockets installed. The electrician can then run the cables in the walls and even if they are just left bundled up in the loft you at least have the option to have any of these services installed. As it happens, I now have all three connected, which was never the plan!

Also consider wired network points. Improved wireless networking has reduced the necessity for such things, but you might want them still.

And also phone sockets. Is the single Master socket going to be enough? What is the point in spending thousands and then having to run a phone extension cable to your computer? If you plan on having cable-broadband, then consider extra "F"-sockets too (the screwfit cable-tv sockets), with one next to your planned PC location. And if you get a satellite outlet installed next to the TV, have a phone socket too so you can just plug the box straight in if you decide to go for Sky.

AdamW said:
... TV aerial, satellite and cable sockets ... I now have all three connected ...

You have satellite and cable TV? Or have you gone to the "dark side" (NTHell) for your broadband? And to think I used to defend them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back