Full Plans approval Process - Bld Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question is linked to our earlier issue (see building regs appeal process topic) so hoping someone can answer this question.

We currently have conditional approval of a full plans application. The content of which was very much influenced by our local BCO and we somewhat foolishly went along with this. It is costly, OTT and will probably be impossible to complete in the property with what we now know. Relations with our local BCO are not good and they have been unwilling to take on board other suggestions.
From professional and other feedback we now have other ways of conforming to building regs but we still think the local BCO will not be moved.
Question: Can we (or our agent) submit a new full plans application to an approved inspector whilst the other is there? I understand it lasts for 3 years?
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you or your professional advisors are confident that you proposals will conform to the building regulations, then challenge the BCO. Do the work and let the BCO consider if he should risk enforcement action, at which time you can argue your case. Or as per your other thread, appeal to the SoS for relaxation

If you feel that the BCO is being purposefully obstructive, then make a complaint to the councils chief exec

Remember that the Approved Documents are not the building regulations. There are other ways of meeting compliance - guidelines from NHBC, Zurich, BRE, etc, or even a sketch or calculation illustrating how the regulations will be met.

You can submit as many applications as you like. But if you are going to an approved inspector, have a chat first to make sure he wont be as 'bad' as the council one.

There is no guarnatee that any new plans will be approved, or site inspection will go in your favour, so you could be in exactly the same position in a few months time but a few £'00 lighter

I've now been told that an approved inspector won't take this one as they have a protocol that mean you cannot in effect 'shop around' is this correct?

If so how long does the plan I have stay in place now it has conditional approval? Guess if above is correct I would have to wait for that to expire first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back