Full rewire in DN10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I need some advice, im buying a house in DN10 (Doncaster) and when i looked the fuse box was the old black type so i though a full rewire would be a good idea as the whole house needs work.

So im trying to find the cheapest/cost effective way to do it, i work for British Gas as a technical engineer so i know how electrics work and i have also extended a ring main in my extension at home but i dont want to take on a full re-wire plus im not qualified.

So will this make it cheapest it can be if

1) house will be empty
2) all boards lifted where cables to be run
3) i could also remove all cables back to the fuse box
4) mount new sockets onto walls

Would it be wise to leave the cables to the light swtichs in place or cut the wall out to get the old out.

The house is a victorian semi, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, front room, back room, hall, kitchen.

I have worked out i would have 12 double sockets, 6 light fittings, 6 light switchs, 1 fuse spur in bathroom for boiler. The kitchen will not be done at this time as it is getting an extension next year so i was thinking to do that then.

Any idea of rough costs or how i could make it cheaper to do?

Sponsored Links
You need to get a spark that will allow you to do all the donkey work, normally a one man band will be better to approach this than a bigger firm. You can do all the chasing, box mounting and possibily the cable runs, but make sure you approach the sparky with your intentions and see how much work they are comfortable in you doing, the sparky will want to inspect everything before it's covered up too.

Dont bother leaving bits of old wiring in, renew the whole lot, leave provisions for future things!

nothing to say you can't strip it all out in preperation and lift all the floor, sink the boxes where you want them and put the chases in..

the sparky might not let you have certain thing where you've put them when he gets there ( subject to regs etc.. ) but it's not part of the design to do that work..
if he was replacing like for like and pulling cables into existing conduit drops then that would already be done.

a couple of sockets next to the CU for a temp supply and some festoon lights for dark areas and the loft..

all the clutter out of the loft helps as would partial boarding out ( ie couple of runs of loft boards so the sparky isn't standing on the rafters only.. )

in general it's one double in every corner of all the rooms ( except kitchen and bathrooms / loos ).. and one behind the door if it's in a corner..
where you expect the telly to go you want 2-3 doubles and an arial point..

in bedrooms, where you expect a desk to go for study / computer, then a couple of doubles and possibly a network point..

Sponsored Links
I have worked out i would have 12 double sockets, 6 light fittings, 6 light switchs, 1 fuse spur in bathroom for boiler.
Is that all?

Are you doing this to live there, or are you planning a quick renovation once-over to sell it on?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1671984#1671984

I plan to live there.

Bedroom 1 Double socket for bedside lights, double socket for tv
Bedroom 2 double socket for tv, spare double socket
room 1 double socket for lamp, 2 x double socket for tv,
room 2 double socket for lamp, 2 x double socket for tv
landing and hall 2 doubles (maybe)
fuse spur for boiler in bathroom cupboard (if regs allow?)

12 sockets and 1 fuse spur, the kitchen part will be left until the extension in done next year so not included them sockets.

Will be also outside lights, power to garage thats not build yet so was planning on just getting the basics done so we can move into it then do the "extra" electics later

You need to get a spark that will allow you to do all the donkey work, normally a one man band will be better to approach this than a bigger firm. You can do all the chasing, box mounting and possibily the cable runs, but make sure you approach the sparky with your intentions and see how much work they are comfortable in you doing, the sparky will want to inspect everything before it's covered up too.

Dont bother leaving bits of old wiring in, renew the whole lot, leave provisions for future things!

Yeah i just need to find a good one man band to help me with this project hence why i added the postcode on the title incase someone saw it on here, i also like one man bands as they normally are cheaper as less overheads buildings tax man etc but i agree i dont need to find and discuss what they will allow me to do first before doing anything at the min im just getting an idea for things i "could" maybe do.

I would be looking for a minimum 30% discount in comparison to a fully furnished and occupied house.

Don't remove old wiring without the sparks agreement, he may want to use some as draw wires.

Go here for socket quantity advice http://www.aie.eu/files/PDF HBES & ...ctrical Socket Outlets in the hom.pdf[/QUOTE]

I was only going to remove the wires that i could fully expose so i knew he wouldnt have to use them as draw wires hence why i asked about leaving the old light socket wires in place but i doubt they would pull out as it a very old house.

nothing to say you can't strip it all out in preperation and lift all the floor, sink the boxes where you want them and put the chases in..

the sparky might not let you have certain thing where you've put them when he gets there ( subject to regs etc.. ) but it's not part of the design to do that work..
if he was replacing like for like and pulling cables into existing conduit drops then that would already be done.

a couple of sockets next to the CU for a temp supply and some festoon lights for dark areas and the loft..

all the clutter out of the loft helps as would partial boarding out ( ie couple of runs of loft boards so the sparky isn't standing on the rafters only.. )

in general it's one double in every corner of all the rooms ( except kitchen and bathrooms / loos ).. and one behind the door if it's in a corner..
where you expect the telly to go you want 2-3 doubles and an arial point..

in bedrooms, where you expect a desk to go for study / computer, then a couple of doubles and possibly a network point..

So 4 doubles per room, thats 16 sockets (without kitchen) then maybe landing and hall for vac?

The house will/should be empty and i wont be putting anything in till the wiring is done, i have a 2.6kw genny for power so thought i could use that for temp lighting.

Arial points not thats something i didnt really think of i dont like bedrooms to have a tv in but if im doing it might as well put them in.

might want to consider some network cabling while you're at it..

you can use it to stream HD-TV from the cable / satelite box ( if you have one ) to the bedrooms etc..

I plan to live there.

Bedroom 1 Double socket for bedside lights, double socket for tv

Clock radio. Hair dryer. Vacuum cleaner. Laptop. Toothbrush charger. Etc etc etc.

Sockets come in boxes of 10. No point buying fewer than 20.

Well at the min i only use 1 double socket (extension lead into 3 plugs though 2 lamps and clock radio) in the main bedroom and my daughters room she only uses 1 plug for her night light but true about the vac, the one on our landing will reach to all upstairs.

Will cost of install go up with the amount of sockets or am i not going to save monet that way?

might want to consider some network cabling while you're at it..

you can use it to stream HD-TV from the cable / satelite box ( if you have one ) to the bedrooms etc..

No thanks im very low tech guy not into things like that, i dont even like a tv in bedrooms, the main tv just has a freeview box and i dont even watch tv just the wife for the soaps, daughter for kids tv thats it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back