Full rewire wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 bed terrace and would like a full rewire as im sure the person who wired this house done it blind folded. North west area. No special features, just lights, sockets and general kitchen etc etc

Can anyone give a ball mark figure? Im planning around £2500
Dont need sockets etc,, just the wiring and consumer unit and also to be made good afterward ready for redecorating.

Also will you guys still need to chase into walls or can the wiring be threaded through the existing chase etc.

Sponsored Links
Dont need sockets etc,,
You can't do a rewire without sockets etc as we are not allowed to leave bare, exposed conductors - and anyway how would we test it??

Also will you guys still need to chase into walls or can the wiring be threaded through the existing chase etc

Can't say as I can't see it, but I would expect some conduit to be reused - this would be for the electrician you choose to decide.

If you wanted a "standard" rewire (inc. making good) I would say that if you allowed £3000 that you might get some change - get some quotes!!

since you failed to add a smiley to your post I can't tell if you're being serious...

he obviously means no new sockets, and re-use the existing socket fronts.. so no new sockets need to be paid for...

Sponsored Links
But re-using old accessories just leads to problems, as does using the cheapest nastiest accessories available.

I would want to supply and fit all my own stuff which I am used to installing, and know the quality of.

But re-using old accessories just leads to problems, as does using the cheapest nastiest accessories available.

I would want to supply and fit all my own stuff which I am used to installing, and know the quality of.

What like MK or Crabtree then RF ?

Yep.

I don't think much to the new MK plate switches, but their sockets and grid range are still IMO the best money can buy.

Crabtree are a good compromise for quality vs cost.

if the homeowner has changed the socket fronts and switches to georgian brass in the lounge and dining room, black nickel in the bedrooms and stainless in the kitchen , are you going to tell him he has to have the white plastic ones you will charge him for because they are new and can be guaranteed?

you just make sure that on the quote and any certs / warrantee you give him that the re-used parts are not covered and you don't accept responsibility for them..

if the homeowner has changed the socket fronts and switches to georgian brass in the lounge and dining room, black nickel in the bedrooms and stainless in the kitchen , are you going to tell him he has to have the white plastic ones you will charge him for because they are new and can be guaranteed?

you just make sure that on the quote and any certs / warrantee you give him that the re-used parts are not covered and you don't accept responsibility for them..

I can understand where you are coming from on this one, as people tend now to go for fancy metal switches & sockets in the kitchen, Lounge & Dinning Room, & if they have resently changed them, they would properly not like having to have white ones put in after a rewire.

Cables in solid walls unless inside a conduit will require opening up of the existing chases and normal fabric damage.

Same would apply to any surface boxes that need to be sunk.

Floor will have to be lifted in every room for route access (hopefully yours is not the home of Mr Laminate floor).

Your budget is 100% lighter than I suspect it needs to be, but I can't say exactly without seeing it and rates vary from area to area. Rates also vary on how many / few sparks live and work in your region.

As a bench mark for a 3 up 3 down house with 1 kichen and 1 bathroom WC look at 200 man hours as a very general estimate.

Add in loft services, gargae, shed and a reinstatement to 'ready to decorate' standard and you could add further time / cost considerations.

did a rewire about 10 years ago with a "mate" (electricians version, not personal friend.. ) and it took 7 days.. 09:00 - 16:30 ( funny hours due to their kids.. after they left for school, and before they got back from their nans..)..
105'ish hours..

most rooms put back into servicable condition every night.. ( except garage, spare bedroom and dining room. ), all power / lights back on every night.. ( JB's new onto old where needed overnight.. )

plastering arranged by the owner ( his brother was doing it.... )

was only a 3 bed with lounge, dining room, kitchen, garage..

could have done it in 3 good days ( 08:00 - 20:00 ) if they were away on holiday... can leave power off, boards up etc..
72'ish hours..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back