Fuse box tripping after fitting additional lights

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother had an extension built where the builder fitted 3 light fittings. 2 light fittings are controlled by one switch & the 3rd light is controlled by another switch.

When all 3 lights are switched on the fuse box trips.

The builder claims that there is nothing wrong with his electrics & says that the fuse box can't handle the load.

This is a new modern fusebox installed by a qualified electrician 1 year ago in a 3 bed semi.

I asked the builder if the new wiring is on its own circuit & connected into its own terminal on the fuse box and he says it is. He says he has not added onto an existing circuit.

He has now connected one of the lights to a plug & has plugged it into a socket to supply power to it in the mean time.

I am a competent DIYer but do not know a great deal about electrics although I do fully understand the risks involved.

Can anyone suggest where I should start to look with this problem.

Thanks,

PG

Sponsored Links
What actually trips on the fuse box?, have a look at the device on the fusebox that trips and post back what the writing on it says, then when we know what trips, we can try and work out what the builder has done to cause it....

PG said:
The builder claims that there is nothing wrong with his electrics

PG

Almost certainly not true. I wouldn't get him back to do the rectification if he can't be trusted.

I hope he hasn't been fully paid yet?

Is he registered with an approved scheme to do electrics or is he basing his expertise on the years he's been doing it

Sponsored Links
Typical builder remark. It is unlikely to be the fuse board, it may well be that the protection device is being overloaded. Is it the circuit that cuts off or he whole fuse board.
Check the loadings (what lights and wattage is being run )on the circuit against the device protecting the relevant circuit. My guess is that he has possably overloaded the circuit and maybe even the cable (what size cable is being used).
Can you have each of the lights turned on and working one at a time.

What kind of lamps are you running? Are they like ordinary 100watt bulbs, or are they huge halogens or infra-red heaters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back