Fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a double socket and the fuse keeps blowing even if I don't plug anything into it. After 5 mins the fuse seems to blow for no reason.
I haven't done any work around it but it did start happening on Sunday in the middle of a large thunderstorm.
Not sure where to go with this now. I have taken off the socket and all the connections look fine. Its been working fine for the last month.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The device that blows, What is written on it?

Do you know if it is a fuse, MCB or an RCD?

Here is a pic of the box:

Cimg0202.jpg

The third from the right is the one that keeps blowing. Nothing is plugged in at the other end the fuse wire appears to disintegrate. It is 15A.

Sponsored Links
It has the appearance of overheating.

It is blue so (should be) fused at 15A. this is unusually low for a socket circuit, unless it only has one socket on it. What does it supply? Is there an electric heater, storage heater or immersion heater on it?

If the fuse blows, then either there is too much load (too many appliances), or else there is a fault such as a nail through a cable.

The double socket supplies my TV, amp and sky box, but it still blows after 5 mins (with a bang) even when there is nothing plugged in. I haven't done any work near the cable so I don't think anything has been interfering. Going to get an electrican to check it out.

Damaged cable is the most likely cause.

several 15amps in that board johnD, so fairly common to assume sockets.

The black marks are not overheating - they are signs of a nice bang, due to a nice fault current, due to a decent sort of fault.

Damaged cable - nailed, squashed, screwed.

dodgy socket - damp?

It didn't appear to be damp and its been quite dry the last few days. I'll see what the electrian says when he comes out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back