G2-12 panel. Add additional keypad. Wireless possible?

M

mwjburton

We had a Honeywell G2-12 panel installed a few years ago (8 PIR, 4 door contacts, 2 MK7 keypads). We would very much like to add an additional keypad so we can arm and disarm the system from the 1st floor / outside master bed. Currently the other keypads are on the ground and lower ground floor next to entry points.

Assuming there is not a 2 keypad limit (in which case we may need to look at switching the panel to something with more capacity)...

...we would like to add a wireless keypad (avoids messing up recently decorated walls). From what I have read in various posts, I'm still unsure if this is even an option? Please could someone clarify whether this could be an option for this system? I'm fairly sure its not an option with Honeywell products and the G2, but perhaps it is with 3rd party product additions?

If wireless is not an option, could we 'T' off an existing PIR point and use a spare core to run a wire down to another MK7 keypad?

Lastly, I understand there is an option to use a wireless keyfob with a receiver. To me this doesn't feel a hugely secure option having a button which disarms the system with a keypress and no code. Perhaps I'm not appreciating the benefits though?

Anyway, would really appreciate some advice. I will ultimately be using an alarm installer to do the work, but I'm very keen to fully understand our options before I start getting a quote.

Many thanks for your time,
Mark

Sponsored Links
There's no wireless keypad, only phone apps. The phone apps require that your panel is on Ethernet. The panel can support 4 physical keypads or three physical and one virtual when the LCE Ethernet module is fitted.

It depends on the number of cores you have available to add the keypad. It's not normal practice to mix zones and bus devices, but there shouldn't be any problems as the bus signals and zone signals are pretty resilient to noise. You need at least 5 cores to hang a keypad and a sensor from the one cable.

The wireless keyfob is an option, but will require that you add an RF portal to turn your panel into a hybrid system. The fob is two way and uses a rolling code.
https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/documents/HSG-KEYFOBS-EN-DS-E.pdf

Many thanks GalaxyGuy, this is extremely helpful. We do have an ethernet port next to our alarm so I could potentially connect it to the network. Do you have any further info on the products we would use to enable this. I assume we need an ethernet card for the panel and an app. This could actually work well for us.

Thanks
Mark

I don't really want to plug my products, as I'm really only here to give neutral advice. Google for LCE module for the Galaxy, as this is the only module that can offer remote keypad on the G2 panel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice. That is exactly what I'm looking for!! Perfect

We have the LCE ethernet module mentioned above, and use the selfmon service. It works flawlessly and I can highly recommend it.

Fantastic, just need to get my alarm maintenance firm to quote me for install now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back