Gainsborough shower always boiling hot or freezing cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct area.. new to the forum.

I have a 9.5KW Gainsborough electric shower, approx 2 to 3 years old.
It turns on fine, however I need to put this on to maximum temperature to get the water to heat up. When I turn the temp control to cool it down slightly this does not change the temperature until I get close to the blue section and it will go straight to freezing.
The shower does sound like a kettle when warming up...almost as if it is lacking in water. Is this possible, if so can it be repaired?

Yours hopefully.. Simon

Sponsored Links
9.5 kw what model is it SDL, SCL, E ?

sounds like you have a flow issue with the temp control dial.
many Gainsborough showers now have what is called an engine and is only the complete unit that can be changed and at around £65
is not really worth it being they are a bottom of the range electric shower.

Sorry to hear about this fault.It sounds as though the 'thermal trip' is starting to activate.It's an internal sensor fault which can only be cured by replacing the 'engine' which is every single working part of the shower.

If you replaced the engine it would be a like for like fit with no modification needed to either the plumbing,electrics or tiling.
All spares come with a one year warranty.

Hope that this info helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back