Galaxy 16Plus Upgrading

Sor

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have a Galaxy 16Plus at home. Very robust and reliable, but need to upgrade. Speech/GSM communicator is not working well and I need more zones to include fire detectors.
  1. Are the new Honeywell Galaxy Flex or Dimension as robust and reliable as the old 16Plus?

2. It took me 2 or 3 readings to get into the 16Plus opaque manual, but I think I understand it now. If I understand the 16Plus manual, will I be able to cope with the Flex or Dimension manuals?

3. My RIO zone expander and MK3 keypads look very similar to new RIO and MK7 or 8. Will they work with Flex or Dimension? If not, can new RIO and keypads be connected using my existing wiring?

4. Any other brand more DIY friendly but as robust and reliable?
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
1. The Galaxy Dimension is excellent and the Flex is now good at V3. I would choose the Dimension over the Flex still, as the Dimension has more built-in outputs and a nice big linear PSU. The Flex does have some benefits of being more directed at the domestic environment. Eg. includes a night set option where the Dimension has part set and you need to change the default horn setting as it's too loud for domestic when you have a speaker connected.

2. The 16+ isn't a proper Galaxy and the menus and manuals were more difficult. The Dimension and Flex are more comprehensive, but just come back here if you have any questions.

3. Yes, all the keypads, RIO's and sensors are compatible from your old panel to the newer range.

4. Other low cost panels may be easier, but I'd want something with an LCD and future capability in the event that it was required.

Thank you for your reply GalaxyGuy. Many doubts, before I decide, but hopefully the answers are short. Appreciate if you would help.

1. The Galaxy Dimension is excellent and the Flex is now good at V3. I would choose the Dimension over the Flex still, as the Dimension has more built-in outputs and a nice big linear PSU. The Flex does have some benefits of being more directed at the domestic environment. Eg. includes a night set option where the Dimension has part set and you need to change the default horn setting as it's too loud for domestic when you have a speaker connected.

I don't have a horn, keypads buzzers are enough, so that will not be a problem, but thanks for the information.

1. Flex+ and Dimension seem to have similar PSUs, so Flex+ PSU is probably linear too?

2.a. Night set option is just a specific Partset, so I can have it with Dimension, right?

2.b. I now use a Partset at night with PartSilent parameter enabled, to silence keypad buzzers during setting time. But while I'm entering my code the buzzer sounds and awakes my wife. To avoid that I would need a specific button for night setting, meaning that the whole routine (including night setting initiation and code entering) would be silenced. Do Touchcenter or Keyprox allow a whole nightsetting or partsetting silence routine?

3. By the way, I am now able to Part Set the system with 3 different partitions. Groups in the Galaxy Flex or Dimension are the same as Partitions in the 16+? so I will have more Part Set options, am I right?

4. GSM module, both for Dimension and Flex is only for text messages. For voice messages I need another brand GSM module, triggered by an output, right?

5. I have 2 external sirens (600mA + 400mA) in the 16+ Output 3 (Single Pole Change Over Relay - 1000mA). Flex doesn´t have a similar output but Dimension does, right?

6. Mobile app is free (only needs ethernet module), right?

Thanks in advance.

1. No flex+ is a switched mode, but 2A version. Really should be just as good but more efficient. Just more components to go wrong in the long term, but simple and cheap to replace.

2a. Yes
2b. Yes, silent. You can also reduce the keypad volume on the mk7 keypads using the internal trim pot.

3. Yes, groups allow different zones to be set

4. Yes. IP modules are also very low cost options.

5. The Flex doesn't have a relay, but you can add a cheap relay for a couple of pounds. The Dimension has one relay onboard.

6. Yes, SelfMon and GX apps are free.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again GalaxyGuy.

I downloaded the installer manual and will read it - it will take some time, before I decide. But Flex 50 Large, Flex+ 50 and Dimension 48 look so similar that I might go for the cheapest, if there´s a big difference.

I would like to move the new panel to 3 m away from the present location. Can I just add the wires with some kind of junction box or connector (I´m not good with soldering) or it is recommended to replace the whole wire (some are around 30 meters long)? That will be mainly for one keypad and external siren, since I will keep the existing RIO in its present location and just wire it to the new panel location.

Thanks for your patience.

It may be easier adding a second plastic Rio at the existing panel location if it's not easy to replace or extend the existing cabling. I would normally try not to have joins or junctions, but if you have no choice, then done properly, it will be okay.

It's about a £60 difference from securitywarehouse. I have some ex development panels that I make available on eBay every now and then with a £10 difference. Those panels are powered on the bench for Ethernet module development for a few months.

It may be easier adding a second plastic Rio at the existing panel location if it's not easy to replace or extend the existing cabling. I would normally try not to have joins or junctions, but if you have no choice, then done properly, it will be okay.
Something like this?
Present Galaxy.png

Future Galaxy.png

Are jelly-filled Scotch crimps a good solution for joins?

Last edited:
It's about a £60 difference from securitywarehouse. I have some ex development panels that I make available on eBay every now and then with a £10 difference. Those panels are powered on the bench for Ethernet module development for a few months.
Is "ex developmment" a used panel?
I also don´t understand your last sentence: "Those panels are powered on the bench for Ethernet module development for a few months."
And what exactly do I search for on ebay?

Thank you.

Used by me, but not fitted on the wall. I develop the SelfMon platform and LCE Ethernet module, so continually have new panels running in the office on a test bench with modules connected to them. I'll pm you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back