Gap between window and frame on upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently having upvc double glazing installed and am a bit concerned about the gap between the frame and the opening window (it is a bottom opening window with the hinge at the top). The installer says it is ok but I'm not so convinced.

The rubber seal on the flange on the opening section is very close to the edge of the frame it closes onto, and in some areas there is a gap, if that makes sense.

The frame profiles are VEKA Matrix 70. I rang them and they say they don't deal direct with the public and I should speak to the installer. I would like to get your opinions first though.

I have measured the gap between the internal edges of the frame and window and it is around 13-14mm on each side.

What I would like to know is, is that to much of a gap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry only just got round to doing it, in the first picture the distance between the red and blue dots (which are the inside edge of the window and the inside edge of the frame is about 13-14mm on both sides).

The second picture shows the outside, its not very clear but with the window closed you can see the inside of the window profile (the seal is not sealing).

That to me would suggest the window is to small?

The installer has suggested packing the two windows to spread the frame out , seems like a bit of a bodge to me.

119000_118197_37423_44754091_thumb.jpg

119000_118197_37424_18466118_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
typically on most window systems you should have around 8mm cover where the frames overlap each other - the 13-14mm gap doesn't really matter, it's the cover when the sash is locked against the frame that matters.

close the opening sash and mark a pencil line around it (you'll see it better if youv do it from the white inside), then open it and you should ideally have this 8mm (or so) the whole way round. By the looks of yours you are getting less than zero mm of cover. Thats crap windows.....or if you are lucky you may find one side has too much cover and the hinge on 1 side needs adjusting???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back