garage conversation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to convert half of our double garage in to a reptile room.
The garage is brick built with two up and over garage doors.
Entry to this room would be by entering the garage through the other up and over door and then through an internal door.

As the room needs to be at 75 degrees all year round insulation will be key and I will also need good lighting and about double plug sockets.

I was thinking a stud wall with insulation within on all walls an insulated plaster ceiling.
Can anyone think of any issues regarding building regs? Or anything I need to consider?
Do I need to put a stepped floor in?
I was going to do the build with the exception of the electrics, I am only a keen diy'r.

Any guesses on material costs balpark?

Sponsored Links
I would keep the floor the same level as your house and the stud wall would have to achieve part L of building regs and 1 hour fire rating as it is onto a garage

Hi,

The garage is not attached to the house it is totally separate from the property and sits about 5 meters away with its own power supply and fuse box. Does this make any difference on the regs regarding the stud wall?

Sponsored Links
As it is 7 m from the house I can't see it being affected by building regs as it will not be classed as a habitable room

As far as I know building regs only relate to habitable buildings. The only thing you properly have to worry about is building to a good standard and the reptiles are not able to escape but you will no more about that than me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back