garage damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm abouts to dig an inspection pit into the floor of garage (only 1 metre deep), I know about the need for shuttering and then cementing the pit.

But my main concern is damp creaping up from under the pit into the pit any ideas how I can insulate it to avoid this happening.

Sounds silly I know, but I am wishing to sell up in a couple of years and I know these things will be spotted

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I think you'll regret only going 3'. I had one that I made about 4' 6". I had a small office chair on castors I sat on to work down there, because it broke my back otherwise. I wished I'd taken it that extra foot - or more.
Around here, you could get a mini-digger bloke in and he'd dig it and take away the soil for £150. Bargain I reckon.
As for damp, put a couple of inches of sand in the bottom, drop a big sheet of Visqeen in to come out over the top, fill the base with concrete, shutter and concrete the sides later. That's how I did it. ;)

You can get them pre formed in Fibreglass from mags like Practical Classics :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back