Garage door: water ingress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s sectional concrete garage with up and over "Henderson" steel door.
The garage door faces West. In stormy weather, there is water ingress past the garage door.
I think the garage floor must have a slight slope. In the morning after a rainy night there is water all down one side of the garage, right through to a puddle at the back. I used to think the roof was leaking, but now I am pretty sure there is water ingress round/under the garage door.

Any tips for fixing this without spending a lot of money?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
A piece of rubber strip of some description fixed to the bottom of the door should do the trick. Other than that you need to install some sort of water bar, which is then going to be a trip hazard. The sides should have a gutter that catches the water and allows it to run to the floor, this should have been installed with the door.

I have a self-adhesive bitumen roll for fixing rips in roofing felt.
Maybe I'll fix some of that along the bottom..

A garage floor should ideally slope from back to front, don't you think? Seems like mine is level or sloping the wrong way. The driving rain is then pushing water down to the back of the garage, leaving standing water.

Mike

Try one of these. You can paint the strip to match door. And a rounded mortar fillit in front of the door to divert water.

p2779844_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=29327&ts=34380

Sponsored Links
A rubber fin will not stop water ingress under a garage door if there is the slightest hint that the opening falls back into the garage and/or the door is exposed to driving rain.
The only way to nail this problem is create a rebate between the door and floor, straight across the back of the closed position, screwed and sealed to the floor. Timber baton is ok but will ruin eventually. steel / aluminium is better.
Don't bother messing about with little concrete ramps unless you are going to take a reasonable amount of the existing floor back, it will simply crack up.

If you don't mind the hard work, use a angle grinder and cut out 50mm section along by the garage door and backfill with pea shingles so you divert the water round the side of the garage or wherever you want to take it to or one of these to a soakaway.
p3016507_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back