Garage Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to renew the power supply to my garage and would like to know if the following will be satisfactory. I understand that I will need to get it checked by a qualified electrician under part "P".

Cooker-cable tails from a spare fuse way in consumer unit into a RCB - the existing consumer unit has pop-out fuses (MCBs?). There is a length of 5 core 2.5mm multi-strand armoured cable already buried under the driveway. Connect this to the RCB and to a "garage consumer unit" as sold by Screwfix etc.

In the garage I plan to run a ring of sockets in 2.5mm wire and a ring of lights in 1.5mm wire. I may add an outside, weatherproof sockets as well for the mower.

Does this all sound satisfactory? Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It's me said:
I wish to renew the power supply to my garage and would like to know if the following will be satisfactory. I understand that I will need to get it checked by a qualified electrician under part "P
First thing you need to do before you start work is to inform your LABC. Afterwards is too late.

You need to notify before you start work, pay the building control fee and then let the LABC inspect, or alternatively engage a self-certifying electrician to do the work for you. A self-certifying electrician is just that, he can only certify self work not that of others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back