garage extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, hope you can help

I'm considering getting the garage converted, which is attached to the house and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions.

1: Is there a formula that is used to calculate the specs for the "timber" to be used for the flooring, maybe based on the square footage of the garage

2: Does the new door leading to the garage from the hall need to be a fire door

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The 'spec' is from the Trada span tables which give section size for unsupported lengths.

But for a typical garage, the timber floor will rest on the existing or be propped off it - so a 50 x 100 section ca be used supported at the ends and centre span

You don't need a fire door as it is no longer a garage.

Woody

The width of the garage is 3M, is the joist are supported by joist hangers would you still need centre support, and if so would this be dwarf walls

At 3m the min unsupported section size is 50 x 150 at 450 centres or 50 x 170 at 600 centrers.

50 x 100 will need a support at mid-span - nothing a elaborate as a sleeper wall (unless more than 300mm high) just use a peice of timber at right angles to the joists.

But if there is an air-void under the new floor, then BC may want some cross ventilation

Sponsored Links
woody

I think that I will need a sleeper wall as the hight of the joist of the floor are more than 300 high becuase they need to be at the same level as the floors in the house

I will take a pic when I can and upload.

What type of insulation would it need underneath the floor, Kingspan?

Cheers

Michael

120mm Kingspan is the requirement for timber floors, although 120 or 100mm ploystyrene is normally accepted by the BCO

Edit - check your regs north of the border, if your u values are 0.22W/m2/K then the above will do. If higher (ie lower figure) then the insulation will have to be increased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back