Garage Insulation board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently looking to replace the broken boarding which is lining the roof of my semi-integral garage. It is a material not disimiliar looking to old asbestos sheets but I presume it isn't- house is 1980's.

Can you be a similiar material, presumably need to for fire retardent factors?

Is it ok to insulate joists above whilst it is down as the bathroom is above the garage and is the coldest part of the house with drafts etc?

Sponsored Links
there should be insulation in there, but if not put it in and you can get fire proof plasterboard , i would stick that up and skim it to meet building regs.

for the insulation to be effective/regulation, then you will either need to fit 270mm of fibreglass wool (usually impractical due to joist depth) or 100mm of cellotex or kingspan type insulation.

you can then re-board with fireline plasterboards.

If the garage is under the bathroom then in theory you don't need to insulate it. However, if its draughty, simply get some rockwool flexi slab in 100mm or 50mm celotex/kingspan boards cut to fit between joists then put up some fireline/fireshield boards. That should give you a massive improvement for not too much of a cost. To stop draughts completely, either skim the ceiling boards, joint & tape or using an acoustic & fire rated mastic around the edges of the boards.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back