garage repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a brick built garage with a flat roof thats in need of some attention. It's not been maintained properly over the years and the recent storms just make things worse.

The joists appear to just be slung across the bricks and attached with fasterners and with planking on top. The roof also has galvanized metal sheets which seem to have done a good job as majority of the middle part of the roof is dry, its the front, back and sides where the water has been leaking.

I am happy to replace the joists and planking where required and re-felt and replace the metal sheet but its the sealing of the edges and corners thats im not sure about how to do. I had thought maybe moving the joists to be flush with the wall using hangers may help but im not sure about that either.

I'm a moderate diy'er but forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong! Attached are some photos of the issues. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Most of the timbers have rotted because the roof covering was never fitted properly, no overhangs on the edges.
Best to strip the whole lot of, new plates and timbers with new decking and fit an epdm roof.

Most of the timbers have rotted because the roof covering was never fitted properly, no overhangs on the edges.
Best to strip the whole lot of, new plates and timbers with new decking and fit an epdm roof.

Thanks for the advice, can you clarify what part you mean by plates?

I had not heard of epdm before but will have a look to see how difficult it is to fit.

Dave

The wall plates are the timbers sat on the walls, the roof joists are sat on them.

Epdm rubber is fully adhered to roof board, usually all in one piece with no joins.

Sponsored Links
The wall plates are the timbers sat on the walls, the roof joists are sat on them.

Epdm rubber is fully adhered to roof board, usually all in one piece with no joins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back