Garage roof debate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house three years ago. When we had bought it, we realised next doors garage roof was non existent. It is completely gone, collapsed through.
Anyway this week, we have been up to the garage, which has a car in it, and the garage is wet inside. One of the beams is Black!!

The car and all our belongings are getting ruined.

We have brought it up with the neighbour and she is claiming that she knows nothing about it, however since we moved in, a lock has appeared on her garage that wasn't there before.

Where do we stand now? Is she responsible for fixing our roof? If so, does she have to fix her own because surely this is going to keep happening to ours.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I understand that we can do that, however, I would like to know if she should pay for it to be repaired. We have been told that if we write a letter, and then give her a set amount of time to respond, then we send her another letter, but this time from a solicitor, then we can pay to have it repaired, and if she doesn't cough up, we can take her to small claims court.

Is this right?

Can you post a picture of this building, do you think?
It sounds like one roof is spanning two garages - is this correct?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, off topic a little but is the car in the garage yours, or was it left there? If it was left there, what is it? I always hear of storys about houses being left hidden treasure in garages :p

The roof is across all the garages. The other side of our neighbours have done something to stop hers causing problems.

HAHA! MajorGFX, yes the car IS ours, its a Ford Anglia.

I think you need a roofing company to sort out your side, and terminate at the neighbours by the sound of it....presumably there is a dividing wall between the garages?
John :)

yes, there is a dividing wall, and a corse of bricks inbetween on the roof.

Thanks John, I really have no idea... useless homeowners... typical woman!

Hi
You have two choices, seperate the properties or invite the council to intervene with a compulsory maintenance order. The flat roofs can be divided by an intelligent flat roofer.

The roof is across all the garages. The other side of our neighbours have done something to stop hers causing problems.

HAHA! MajorGFX, yes the car IS ours, its a Ford Anglia.
The little roundy shaped one with the 3 speed box and the sidevalve engine :D - if it`s pre 1960 you`ll soon be enjoying no MOT worries as well as Tax Free ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back