Garage Roof Leaks/Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly large single concrete sectional garage (7m x 3m) which i have equipped as a workshop, however its getting to the point that something needs done about the roof, as i'm regularly going out to find the workbench and various equipments inside the garage wet/damp due to moisture from the roof.

The roof is currently some sort of concrete/asbestos style roofing sheets. There are numerous points where the roof leaks thru the fixings that hold it onto the internal steel framework. There are also various cracks. Previously i was able to avoid these, by ensuring i didnt leave anything expensive under the fixings that leak. Recently though i've noticed that the whole underside of the roof appears wet. I'm not sure if this is condensation, or if the water is seeping thru the sheets, but it means water is dripping off randomly all over the place.

To make things worse, where the edges of the sheets meet the wall, the corners have been capped off using timber planks which are now rotten and leaking profuseley.

I'm trying to devise some sort of plan to rectify this, without spending huge amounts of money, as we plan to move elsewhere within a year or so, thus spending a lot of cash on it seems a waste.

I had originally intended to replace the edging flashings with the proper things rather than the current stupid timbers, and then seal the roof with some sort of paint/tar/gloop. However, the way the garage has been constructed, its built about 6" away from the neighbours garage, and thus getting to the timber "flashings" on that side is next to impossible. Similarly getting above to paint it would be very difficult, leading me to think perhaps the best solution is to simply replace the lot.

I've thought about replacing the sheets with corrugated steel, as its fairly cheap stuff, but i suspect i'll still have bad (or worse?) condensation issues with the steel, even if it cures my leaks?

I've also considered Onduline type sheeting, thinking that it might be a little better in terms of condensation given its not steel, and its also fairly inexpensive.

Is there any other options that i should consider?

How suitable are the products i'm looking at for what is essentially a flat roof? Theres currently a rise of around 300, maybe a little more, over the 7 meter length of roof.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Roughly speaking, you appear to have a mix of condensation and leaks.

The in-situ sheeting might possibly be a fibre cement material. Google asbestos ID.

Fixing any corrugated sheeting requires experience in doing just that - if the overlapping corners are not trimmed and set out just so, it simply wont work.

Given your uncertain continued residence, why not leave it until you have made a decision to go or stay. I cant think of a cheap quick fix, maybe others can?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back