garage wiring in trunking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to wire up my new garage with plugs and lights. Half the garage is a stud & boarded workshop behind which the cables will run. The rest is just brick face. The question I have is does surface wiring in the main garage have to be in trunking? If yes is plastic ok? Also for the plug sockets and switches are surface mount plastic ok in the main garage?

Yes I am aware that this work is notifiable... :)

Many thanks
Warren

Sponsored Links
All wiring systems and equipment have to be suitable for their intended location and use taking into account all extraneous influences.
If you can understand that statement then thats your answer. If you dont understand it then you need to contact a qualified Electrician....preferably one registered with a Competant Person Scheme.

Hi,

Yes I am aware that this work is notifiable... :)

Many thanks
Warren

But you are going to do the work yourself anyway. What you want is some advice so that you do to the best of your ability, and in a safe and proper manner.

If this is the case, can someone advise him please? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
all wiring should be situated so there is little chance of it getting damaged. there isn't anything stopping you using surface clipped t+e running to plastic sockets if mechanical damage is unlikely, tho you should keep the wiring at high level and run down to the accessories.

the best practice is to use circular 20 mm pvc conduit and metal-clad accessories. you could;
1) have the whole garage installation in conduit. this would have to be wired in single core cables. the conduit would therefore have to be continous to every accessory.
2) use t+e clipped to the surface up high along top of walls and along joists etc. then run down the wall in the conduit to the accessory. this is a much easier and quicker method.

make sure you have rcd protection.

don't be tempted to use metal-clad boxes with plastic trunking; they won't butt up together successsfully (unless the trunking is very deep).

It all comes down to an assessment of what you consider to be the likelihood of mechanical damage for your particular use of the garage. There are no absolute rules for a domestic garage.

Personally I don't like surface run T&E regardless of mechanical protection considerations, as it has a tendency to look messy, especially once you start running more than two cables side by side or negotiating corners, where cables have to cross, etc.

I'd always go with metal-clad accessories and PVC conduit. It's not going to add much to the cost over using T&E in PVC trunking, and it's not really any harder to install than trying to cut and fit trunking neatly. In fact, given a few uneven surfaces here and there, plus the typical "steps" in different directions you're likely to find in the interior of a garage, it's often easier to bend a length of PVC conduit to fit than to try and couple trunking together without gaps and awkward joins.

Surely what's more important in a garage is whether the swithes and light fittings are 'sparkproof'. (Can't remember the right title)

The issue being if there is a petrol spill an explosive atmosphere could be present and that could be ignited by a spark from a switch or light fitting.

After all you can't locate an open flued boiler in a garage for this very reason.

So why has my garage got sealed fittings? ie switch and light.

And why can't you put an open flued boiler in a garage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back