garage wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i just completed an install in my garage and although not a fully qualled elec to uk regs i am a military electrician currently doing the conversion courses ! 2391 , 2382 etc..

just need to know if i have done the work correctly for my benifit and also for when i come round to getting it tested by a local electrician who is also signing some of my work of for my nvq3.. :) dont want to look stupid.!!!

SUPPLY FROM CU located in house RCD 32Amcb 4mm T&E (6metres)(this was already left from the house builder connected to a single socket. so i utilsed it and fitted the CU as described below)

to

63a CU located in garage with RCD protection, 32A and 6A mcb.

6A = 1 way lighting circuit (strip light on ceiling of garage.)(built with 1.5m single's enclosed in 20mm pvc conduit.)

32A= radial circuit with 3x 13a double sockets and 1x 13a fuse way for connection of a freezer with out sockets. (built with 2.5mm singles enclosed inside 20mm pvc conduit)

can any body think of any thing i may of done wrong or any alterations .

a ring circuit would not be benificial as it would be a waste of cable and un economical

Sponsored Links
-Is the RCD in the garage going to discriminate with the RCD at the house?
-What is the installation method for the 4mm² cable as it can only be protected by 32A when clipped direct?

-Is this a remote garage?
-Do you really want your freezer on an RCD?

the 4mm cable from what i found of it its routed from the consumer unit into the cavity between ceiling and upstars flooring, clipped to the flooring joists and through the cavity wall into the garage. (it was fitted by an electrician when the house was built as the garage(adjoining the house) used as a sales room as house was the show house)

sorry i misquoted the garage CU its not RCD. just 63a 32/6a

the 4mm cable is not installed in conduit at all.

Sponsored Links
hi, yeah you have a valid point there, no i dont want my freezer to be on an rcd !! did not forward think that one. haha.

how easy is it to remove the rcd protection from the garage supply? obviously its in my main CU but is it just a matter of moving wires from one side to another???

I understood all sockets had to have RCD protection, so the freezer must be on RCD.

The 2.5 radial is the wrong size mcb, it should have a 20 amp mcb. 32 amp mcb is for 4mm radial.

I understood all sockets had to have RCD protection, so the freezer must be on RCD.

i thought it was something like "all general purpose sockets under xxxAmp" so he could put the freezer on an FCU, or use a funky socket or possibly label it up.
(I might be wrong, but thats what i thought)
(and naturally now unprotected concealed cables <50mm but be RCD'd etc, but that should be easy enough to work round for a garage supply)

Unless the socket is marked "Freezer Only", and cable is surface or suitably protected.

(way too slow! :) )

cheers guys, will replce the 32A with a 20A tomorrow.. my freezer in the kitchen is RCD protected and thats a built in under bench thing.

im not really that fussed about the rcd as its just an extra protection device at end of day. im in and out garage anyway as i got a tumble dryer in there plugged into a socket so would notice if it had gone off.

other than the MCB rating does the rest of it sound ok???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back