Garden Shredders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used the garden shredders that you can but at B&Q and other DIY stores, if so are they any good?. I am considering buying one, but the paper is always full of ads for people wanting to get rid of them, which suggests they might not be all that.

Sponsored Links
depends on what you want to shred, its diameter, why not get a 2nd hand one form the paper be cheaper

Looking to shred up to 40-50mm dia. if possible. I know the ones in the paper are cheaper, I have quite a large garden, so to have one in the shed would be handy, but if they dont do the job, i'd rather pay to hire a petrol powered one that will.

Just after some good honest experiences from those that have purchased :D

think you would have to hire on for 50mm, thats BIG, you could still phone those in paper and ask why they do not want it

Sponsored Links
I had one of the electric ones from Bosch that cost around £100 (model 1500 or something like that) and it was absolutely useless, always getting blocked, requiring every last cm to be pushed through and being very very slow.

When I started looking for a new one recently I noticed that they have now brought out some with a new cutting technique. My original had a disk spinning perpendicular to the direction of the branch, trying to chop it like you would a carrot. The new type of electric ones now have a radial blade, with blade being similar to a router blade or planer blade if you know what these are like, and they are reportedly more effective.

However in the end I went for a make called Eliet (I don't know if you can get them in the UK) which is a petrol driven model and costs around £500. This works on the principle of splitting the wood, much as you would do with an axe, before finally chopping it in to small pieces.

All I can say is that it is brilliant, I am more than pleased with it and I can do more in 1 hour than I could do in 2 days with the old machine, it pulls the branches through so you don't need to stand over it and the chipping it gives are perfect for spreading over your flower beds

I guess the old addage of you get what you pay for applies__

5oo for shredder.. Dont know, my method of paying myself a can of beer for every 1/2 hour or so when I shop the branches,bushes and trees into managable pieces are far better. And pretty fun at the end of the day

50mm!!!!! don't shred this, cut into 9 inch lengths, it's ideal for fires and wood burners. In fact, anything above 25mm is worth saving.

oilman said:
50mm!!!!! don't shred this, cut into 9 inch lengths, it's ideal for fires and wood burners. In fact, anything above 25mm is worth saving.
Are you bragging oilman :?: ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

£500 --- but really does the job.

Reckon you could make most of that dosh back, shredding for the neighbours !! over a few seasons.
Maybe keep the chips too !

Our local council provides a 'composting' service where they call bi-weekly and collect garden waste in large paper bags, supplied by them from local shops, at £0.35 each ... Or a big wheely bin costing £36 for 3 yrs. Surprisingly good deal .. helps keep down the number of garden waste fires being set .... a pain !!
The waste is composted then sold by the bag ... an excellent service !!
P

I bought a B&D shredder seven years ago & it wasn't up to the task and broke after a few months. I returned it to Homebase where the manager allowed me to take a McCulloch which was a much dearer machine at no extra cost.
That is much more powerfull and robust and has lasted me 7 years without problem.
Even that can only shred up to 30mm maximum.
I bought it because I have a brook at the bottom of the garden with some willows which I keep trimmed every year.
The willow is shredded then is put in a hole with the soil on top.
After a year it has decomposed and can be mixed with the clay soil or left where it is and a new hole dug.
I also use the shreddings as a mulch under a plum and an apple tree.
This keeps most weeds down and allows the snowdrops to brighten up January to February.

I have a Bosch AXT2000HP

As a landscaper I use it a lot and it is great. Only cuts up to 4cm or so, so may be a bit small for you but it never gets blocked and sucks branches in a treat (it works but mincing up the wood with a big screw-type action). The guys here are correct - avoid the smaller models like the plague - you end up stopping every few minutes to clear out blockages.

Oh, and whatever you use:

a) wear eye protection (branches have a habit of whipping back on you)
b) avoid putting soft weeds down them as thay can clog up the mechanism

nice valued opinion, but i bet he has got one now, he asked in March 2004

And on that note - I've had a McCulloch (sp?) one, electric and supposedly able to cut 30mm or so.

It was rubbish. Totally useless. After looking around for a few years and seeing those of friends; I have to conclude that you will need a petrol one.

And yes 50mm is too thick.

Mr. T.

Just for reference for those looking to buy a shredder. I eventually purchased a Sovereign shredder from Homebase shortly after the original post. So far it has shredded loads of beech cuttings from our 90 ft of hedging. One 15ft bay tree and is just completing the shredding of 12 large (10ft high x 7ft deep) Leylandii. It shreds up to 2" and it only cost £90.00. It is of the type that has a rotating gear cutter, not the flat spinning plate that most of the cheap ones have. Avoid these if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back