Garden wall abutting the pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have a garden wall built along the front edge of my front garden, which runs long the pavement outside the property. The wall will be around 1m high, 3.5m long, then a gate into the garden path up to my front door, then a further 4m length of wall the other side of the gate. I'll be getting a brickie in to do the work but would like to be a bit more knowledgeable when getting quotes.

Do I need permission from the Council since it abuts the pavement?
Will the fact that it will essentially be a retaining wall for the pavement cause any problems?
Am I right in saying that a double skin wall would be best?
Are there any particular sorts of bricks which are particularly suitable or unsuitable for this type of wall?

I'd be looking to use the "natural/yellow" type bricks, to fit in with the house and neighbours' walls and have found plenty of suppliers so am happy that I know the cost of those, but have no idea of a ballpark figure in terms of the brickies labour. I know it's impossible to give a precise figure, but can anyone give a ballpark figure for the labour cost of this sort of job in the Bridgend area of South Wales as I have no idea whether I'll be looking at £500, £1000, £2000 or what?

Edit: Sorry - forgot about the forum rule re. prices. Please feel free to ignore the last bit of my message.

Sponsored Links
technically you need permission from the highways authority to work on a public footpath though few people do. myself included.

i have dealt with highways before, when erecting scaffold or digging up the footpath, and they are nothing to do with the local council. i was put in touch with a national centre who dealt with a scaffold permit quite efficiently.

i would be inclined to use some traffic cones when building the wall and just get on with it, as you will have it built by the time a complaint gets investigated.

upwards of £1600, but this would increase if you had say a tile crease header on the wall.

Thanks very much.
Was thinking that I wouldn't contact the Council/Highways, especially since my neighbours will just be happy to see a wall built, rather than the open wasteland that is there at the moment, so I don't think I'll get shopped!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back