Garden water feature help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi recently had electrician in to do some outside lights and a garden water feature. Lights work fine with a double switch outside one for the lights one for the feature. The feature will be going in the centre of the garden and he has left a 3 core swa cable in the middle of the garden where I want the feature.

However the other day after I ordered the feature I showed it to him and he said that wouldn't work because he couldn't connect his swa to it as it was a sealed plug. Said I would have to order a different one. Leaving me no clue what to order can someone please help thanks.

Sponsored Links
You/your electrician could terminate the SWA into a suitable socket outlet, then plug to that and fit all inside a weatherproof box/cover.

Something like a "Dribox"

The swa comes up in the middle of a slabbed ground, is there no way for the cable to go directly in to a water feature so there doesn't have to be a box in the middle of my garden ?

I would guess all water features would have a lead already connected.

Connecting your own cable DIRECTLY to a water feature would probably void any guarantee and create an un-watertight seal.

Can only suggest a suitable watertight joint under the slab under the water feature, though even this could break several rules.

You won't get an SWA to fit directly to a water feature - and you need a lead on it anyway so it can be moved to one side easily in the event of a fault.

No reason you can't cut the plug off the water feature, assuming it can be correctly and safely connected.

Sponsored Links
The swa comes up in the middle of a slabbed ground, is there no way for the cable to go directly in to a water feature so there doesn't have to be a box in the middle of my garden ?
It would be almost impossible to seal such an arrangement, and it would be a right pain if you ever needed to replace the pump or take the pump inside for servicing/the winter.

Edit, beaten again!

Is the plug one that has a integrated transformer? As this would require dealing with if you were to cut into cable.

The pump plugs in to a transformer that then has flex with a plug on the end.

yes that's correct, I was thinking of getting a dribox as stated before and maybe getting something decretive to go around the feature to hide the box seems the best bet.

yes that's correct, I was thinking of getting a dribox as stated before and maybe getting something decretive to go around the feature to hide the box seems the best bet.
Fair enough. If you look hard enough you might even be able to find suitable waterproof enclosures which look like stones!

Kind Regards, John

The transformer will need down-fusing to the same rating as that of the existing plug though. How is the SWA cable terminated and protected at the supply end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back