garden workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, ive just signed up on here for a bit of help and advice but its probably good manners to tell you a bit about myself first.

Im an electrician to trade or was about 25 years ago but am now a facilities manager. Ive done a few different jobs from avionics engineer to opperations manager. Im happy doing electrical, plumbing and a bit of joinery and I can lay a brick not too bad as well but ive never realy done anything too big on my tod.

anyway on to my problem, I picked up a stripped down concrete sectional garage for nowt a couple of years ago with a plan to assemble it more square rather than long and narrow to use as a little workshop for my lathe and other toys in my garden, I had finally got round to building it when I foung that several of thr pannels including three of the vital corner sections have been damaged while its been lying in a yard for a couple of years.
I know I can buy replacement panels but I now dont have much confidence in the remaining panels so im thinking can I build with concrete block on the slab I have layed?

the slab is a little over 12 feet long and 11 feet deep. I had the topsoil lifted out with the jcb when I monoblocked my drive and ive compacted in about 8 to 10 inches of recycled base material which looked like about 50/50 type 1 and tar scalpings in thin layers which compacted realy well. The concrete was specked at c25 with polly fibres and poured into a 6 inch deep frame with 6 mill weldmesh but after it was all poured the driver said it was mixed to be c35 as that was what he was told by the boss.
He said the boss gets the orders wrong all the time so I asked what happens if they pour a weaker mix and he said it has never happened as they just mix the whole load to the highest speck order that day.

Anyway do you think that the slab I have will be enough to build the workshop from concrete block?

I was going to do a cement render over the concrete pannels anyway so building with blocks wont make much difference ftom that respect.

Thanks in advance for your help

cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
I have a workshop at the end of my garden: 4x16m with a similar slab but with deeper "footings" around the perimeter. Mine is built with engineering bricks to about 4' high and then timber framed to 8' inside the brick perimeter with a lead skirt dressed from frame to wall over arris rail to weather proof the transition.

If I were you, I'd calculate the loads first and compare them to the concrete panels to get the weight difference! I'm sure there are online calculators that'll help with this. Are you planning on laying the blocks side on? If the base can take the weight you'll likely need piers to strengthen the build which will add extra weight. What roof are you putting on it?

I bought a secondhand sectional garage. Two of the uprights were actually broken, just hanging together by the reinforcing steel. As most(!) of the concrete was still there, I cleaned out the crack by bending them and brushed the gap out. Then I put in some epoxy putty and carefully laid them down and straightened them up. That was 30 years ago and the garage is still standing.
Frank

Cheers guys, I should be able to repair one of the corner sections with epoxy which will give me three sides and im thinking if I build the front in block it shouldn't be much heavier than the pannels as it will have a door and a large window.
whats your opinion on Aircrete blocks? And would I need to use the 140mm blocks?

the roof is steel box section and im going to use 6×2 timber for the joists as I have a few lengths already

thanks again guys

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I have built three walls from the concrete garage sections after repairing some of the cracked panels and have a upvc door and window for the front wall. I was intending to use 140mm aerated blocks for the front wall as the weight will be fairly close to the concrete sections the base was poured for but I’m having trouble finding a supplier for the 140mm blocks. I can get 100mm blocks without a problem just not the 140mm.

This is the plan I have for laying the blocks.

Will this be strong enough with 100mm blocks or with 140mm blocks for that matter?

To the right of the door is a concrete corner piece which the door will be screwed to, the block wall will be tied to the concrete panel on the left with 8mm threaded rod bent 90deg bedded into the mortar at every second course and bolted threw the panel. There will also be a wooden batten along the top of all the walls screwed onto the panels.

Hi guys, can anyone help me with this please.

I guess what I'm asking is will this wall be stable if built with 100mm or 140mm blocks or will I need piers to support it. Don't wort about the strenth of the aerated blocks, would it be ok with standard concrete blocks?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back