Gas Electrics and Cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No this post isn't about gas or electric cars, I've just replied to a post in the car maintenance section, a guy wanting to replace the brakes and wheel bearings on his car, He appears to have very little mechanical, experience, and is ordering tools etc to do the job.
I wonder what others thoughts are regarding anyone being able to do repairs on road going vehicles without any qualifications, ( it could be the 40 tonne truck thats behind you on the motorway)
Replacing pads discs and wheel bearings might seem a straight forward job to someone with mechanical experience, but is it the job for a novice diy-er
I would feel competent to do electrical or gas related work in my own house (with my mechanical experience) but i would be breaking the law to do it.
Should this be the case with motor vehicles

Sponsored Links
im defo no mechanic, but in the past ive done my own, brake pads and bits and bobs, although i dont think i would dare now on any of my cars, far too many wires etc and bits and bobs attached, i wouldnt be 100% sure they were all connected properly etc

i can see where your coming from for a proper qualification tho, but im sure like most cars now, you get a service record and need a stamp for the book.

i'm fairly sure that if homes were to undergo an mot each year a lot would fail!

I would feel competent to do electrical or gas related work in my own house (with my mechanical experience) but i would be breaking the law to do it.

I'm not sure if it still stands, but you used to be able to work on gas as long as its your own home

Sponsored Links
Why should working on vehicles need qualifications?

They are preformed, and any work is essentially undoing something, then fitting a replacement and then refitting a bolt or screw.

All you need is a haynes manual and a tool set from Argos

libby lou lou";p="1100955 said:

would you? sounds like you know nothing about vehcies either. Very easy to change any wheel, if you know what your do1ng

That is the point i'm making if you know what your doing, but some people don't and aren't mechanically inclined.

How can you comment that i know nothing about vehicles, its because i do that i'm surprised that some people think nothing of tampering with thier vehicle, fatal accidents can and do happen through bad maintenance.

i'm fairly sure that if homes were to undergo an mot each year a lot would fail!

I'm sure you're right noseall, but the mot certificate is a certificate of roadwortiness for the day it was tested, people rely on it to much, anyone can play around with the vehicle during the year. Parts of the mot test are actually in my opinion not strict enough, a vehicle with a big nail or screw in a tyre cannot be failed, it can only be advised, but could quite easily cause a blow out.

Sponsored Links
Back