Gas regulations for hob & oven in fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen has a fireplace with units build into it. Wife wants the oven and hob installed in there.
Currently, theres work surface under there and you can fit a toaster. A waste of space.

There was originally a range in there, going back 100 years.

Recently had a friendly heatas engineer install a victorian cast iron fireplace in the front room (remove the old broken tiled monster), build new hearth etc.

He's looked at the kitchen and happy to increase the opening height of the kitchen fireplace, and, run a duct up the chimney for the extractor.

However, I'd need to find a gas safe engineer to install a new oven and hob in the space.

So what rules are there, if any, gas/oven wise? I need to be sure I'll have enough space.

Does a gas hob need a certain space on each side?
Does a gas hob have a minimum head space requirement?

Space avail is 83x60cm.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the installation instructions for your hob & oven still- they'll give you the clearances required. If you haven't, look them up online.

I am going to buy new ones. I ws assuming (maybe incorrectly) there may be regulations for clearances.
As I'll get the heatas chap to make it ready, then buy new kit for the gas chap, I want be be sure what heatas man does will be sufficient, especially height wise.
Are there rules for hobs in enclosed spaces etc...

Sponsored Links
There are general clearances (BS6172) , but a manufacturer (as already stated) may give different ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back