Gas service pipe depths and NG's position on it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Doing some gardening today in the front and decided to start to dig round a tree stump to see how deep it was, hoping to remove it. Went in digging with my spade and fork, and then hit the yellow gas service pipe which proceeded to leak like mad.

The pipe is at the same level as my driveway where I hit it. Funny I thought as the shrubs I removed previously above the pipe run - which are much lower in depth - revealed no sign of the pipe near the surface.

Called NG and their guys came out to fix. The pipe seems to have been moled several years ago and it seems they must have hit the roots and it's gone over them, hence being at the surface. Was told by NG's first guy that I could dig the stump out carefully around the pipe... Hmm not sure how that one works when I already tried that!

Was then told I may receive a bill for this repair, but was also informed by the other NG guy who turned up later and actually pieced the pipe to 'dispute it' if it landed, and also to challenge NG and make them come out and sort it out as it's too shallow a depth.

Where do I stand on this? The pipe position prevents me doing anything. I cannot plant back over it, I cannot widen my drive, in fact I cannot do anything as it's now exposed at the surface of my front garden.

Any thoughts on whether NG will bill me, and which dept is best to contact to get it remedied... Preferably at NG's expense given it is essentially an installation issue (I merely located the problem by accident).

Thanks

Jamie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back