Getting a new boiler in a listed building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are looking to replace our current water heater with an electric boiler which will be suitable for central heating (there is currently no central heating in the flat). Our flat is part of a listed building (I believe Grade II). We may be getting the boiler initially, and then putting the central heating in later, so please bear this in mind with the following questions.

Since this is an electric boiler, we shouldn't need a flue, and the outlet which deals with high water pressure is, I believe, already built into the infrastructure of the building. Do we need Listed Building Consent and/or planning permission to put in the boiler, and would we for the central heating? We've tried asking the council numerous times and they never answer the question (I'm sure they'd rather we paid for the pre-planning permission service...). We are particular concerned as it is a criminal offence for us to make alterations (internal or external) without seeking listed building consent before alterations are made *if it is required*.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can clarify what we need to do!

Cheers,
Nick

Sponsored Links
You really need to bit the bullet & pay for the pre planning. You can get all the advice in the world but unless it's in writing from English Heritage or the relevant council department then it's not worth jack!
We've worked on 1 & 2 listed buildings & have learned this lesson the hard way :oops:

Well that sucks! Is this something we should do ourselves, or should we see if our plumber can do it (I expect the level of information they will need isn't something we will be able to provide?)

You really need to bit the bullet & pay for the pre planning. You can get all the advice in the world but unless it's in writing from English Heritage or the relevant council department then it's not worth jack!
We've worked on 1 & 2 listed buildings & have learned this lesson the hard way :oops:

Sponsored Links
Is this nickandphil from the isle of white (aka warberry road)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back