Getting BC to decide between 2 engineers?

Lateral restraint of a beam
In the Borough Council's view, this restraint could be provided by locating and fixing the beam tightly underneath the floor joists"

From the Handbook of Structural Steelwork

Full (continuous) lateral restraint is provided by:
(i) in-situ and precast flooring or composite decking, provided that the
flooring is supported directly on the top flange or is cast around it.
(ii) timber flooring, if the joists are fixed by cleats, bolts or other method
providing a positive connection.
(iii) steel plate flooring, if it is bolted or welded at closely spaced intervals.
If the beam isn't fixed in place (bolted or similar) then it can't be considered to be fully restrained.

Not sure there are many engineers who would treat that as fully restrained without the above, especially one without PI!

I'd usually take at least 1.0L for the effective length in such a situation, although where I used to work the partners were more conservative than that.

https://www.steelconstruction.org/r...nline-shop/productdisplay.html?product_id=453

Nervous, Page 162 gives the dimensions you are after...

Sponsored Links
The loads look about right. The only difference is I allready included self weight of beam so that was in twice. But removing it doesn't make a significant difference.

Regardless of the restraint, in my opinion the beam is perfectly adequate. BS5950 is really way over the top on safety factors and realistically you will never get anywhere near the total loads the beam is actually designed to take. In fact Eurocode 5 is available now and standard calcs on that are bringing in beams typically at least a serial size down on 5950. I'd like to bet a re-calc would show a 23kg beam in your situation. Unfortunately I don't have the EC5 software at present so I can't check it. (but I will do in the next week or so)

Here's a link to the Corus blue book (which is green for some strange reason) Go down to columns and read across for the flange sizes.

http://www.tatasteelconstruction.co...s/advance_section_properties_for_students.pdf

Really, my advice would be get the approval from building regs. I wouldn't consider knocking anything about myself.

It's very unlikely that the Building Inspector will be able to tell the difference between a 23 and 30.

Sponsored Links
Not if he's got a ruler!

But would he know what to look for? The Council's engineer would if got to the point where they were actually concerned that the 'right' beam was installed.
My own experience is that the Council's engineer doesn't actually go round to check what's been installed, but simply checks and OKs the figures given to him. Meanwhile on site, I've seen Inspectors measuring the overall depth and flange-width of beams, but few seem to appreciate that, apart from the smaller UBs, most come in different weights.
(At least that's how it seems to work up here)

The loads look about right. The only difference is I allready included self weight of beam so that was in twice. But removing it doesn't make a significant difference.

Regardless of the restraint, in my opinion the beam is perfectly adequate. BS5950 is really way over the top on safety factors and realistically you will never get anywhere near the total loads the beam is actually designed to take. In fact Eurocode 5 is available now and standard calcs on that are bringing in beams typically at least a serial size down on 5950. I'd like to bet a re-calc would show a 23kg beam in your situation. Unfortunately I don't have the EC5 software at present so I can't check it.

Would this not be eurocode 3- BS EN 1993 ;)

Not if he's got a ruler!

But would he know what to look for? The Council's engineer would if got to the point where they were actually concerned that the 'right' beam was installed.
My own experience is that the Council's engineer doesn't actually go round to check what's been installed, but simply checks and OKs the figures given to him. Meanwhile on site, I've seen Inspectors measuring the overall depth and flange-width of beams, but few seem to appreciate that, apart from the smaller UBs, most come in different weights.
(At least that's how it seems to work up here)
Where I live any of the BCO's I've dealt with are familiar with the different weights of beams available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back