getting paint off windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have those old-fashioned internal doors with windows in them. Despite masking taping the windows before painting, some paint has managed to get on the windows, as the windows have a bumpy pattern on them and the masking tape didn't quite sit flat.... I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to get the paint off the window. So far I've been trying to scrape it off with the end of a flat head screwdrier, but it's taking ages. Does anyone have any other methods? It's water-based gloss paint if that's relevant.

Sponsored Links
Carefully use a Stanley blade to scrape it off, time consuming but the only way to do it.

It also helps (if the paint hasn't fully cured and is still a bit flexible) to run the blade carefully along the glass/timber border as near 90 deg to the glass as you can, then put the blade flat on the glass and scrape away - this stops the paint runkling up and gives you a nice clean line.

I picked up a brilliant scraper for glass which actually holds a razor blade - got it a Leyland, can't remember name though.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having pretty good result with a Stanley knife and running the blade right up to the edge of the windows. It's managing to get me a very clean line and is even managing to get rid of paint left by the previous owners. The only problem is that with 5 doors to do, front and back, it's taking a long time :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back