Glitter varnish over paint - how do I get the finish I want?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry for the double-posting but it was suggested that I put the query in decorating rather than floors in the hope that someone would have a better idea, I dont know how to delete the original:( Ive just copied n pasted the original, maybe one of the mods could help me?

Hi, Im new so you'll have to forgive me if this is kinda in the wrong place, Im not 100% sure if it should go in floors or decorating because there doesn't seem to be any other questions like it!

Im currently trying to paint a bedroom floor and as you can probably guess by the title, Im having a bit of bother:(
The actual painting part is fine, it's just finishing it off that's causing the problem - I'm not quite sure how to get the effect I want, which is black with a glittery overcoat. I bought some polyvine glitter glaze, which looked great on the bottle, but when I tried it on an offcut it didnt look like I'd wanted - the glitter itself is a bit more subtle than I'd expected, but at the same time there's too much of it! I can probably remedy the too much part by just spreading it thinner, but it doesnt really deal with the "subtle" part, but it's the closest ready-made product I can find to what i want.

What Im now considering is getting a different glitter and just either mixing it with something or sprinkling it over the top, but this is where I'm stuck - would this work with a thinned-down or even full consistency varnish so that the glitter doesnt melt into blobs when overcoated, and how long would I have to leave it before overcoating it and putting things on it?
Im not sure if this or the stuff I already have is the better idea, and if I do end up using the glaze, could someone reccomend something to overcoat that with?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the idea , but Im kinda really wanting the floorboards, both for the look and the feel/texture of them:(

I do have basically the same lino but in silver in the bathroom and kitchen, and while it looked great to begin with it's driving me mad trying to keep it clean - I've got a longhaired cat whose hair is more like chinchilla fur than normal cat hair, and because the lino's non-slip the hair "clags up" in it so you have to repeatedly sweep, hoover and mop it to get it clean. It's literally a couple of hours work for all of 6 foot by 8' of floor, so it's getting replaced by laminate as soon as I've finished the more pressing stuff:(

The effect I want is kind of this http://www.tileclick.co.uk/continental/Moonstar/Moonstar-Glitter-Nero-Floor-Tile-TCCSK2.html but without being tiles.
I found this stuff
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ister&isSearch=false] Opulence glitter glaze which seems to be more like the tiles, but Im still then stuck with what to overcoat it with?

Thanks again:)

Thanks for the idea , but Im kinda really wanting the floorboards, both for the look and the feel/texture of them:(

I do have basically the same lino but in silver in the bathroom and kitchen, and while it looked great to begin with it's driving me mad trying to keep it clean - I've got a longhaired cat whose hair is more like chinchilla fur than normal cat hair, and because the lino's non-slip the hair "clags up" in it so you have to repeatedly sweep, hoover and mop it to get it clean. It's literally a couple of hours work for all of 6 foot by 8' of floor, so it's getting replaced by laminate as soon as I've finished the more pressing stuff:(

Ah, I see.

Getting that sort finish on floorboards is going to be tricky.The only suggestion I can come up with is to paint the floor with a black gloss or satinwood and sprinkle some larger dry glitter onto it while the paint is still tacky. When it's totally dry (couple of days to be sure) apply a couple of coats of good qualiity High Gloss clear floor varnish over the top to seal it all in. Can't guarantee that the varnish won't affect the paint though.
Sorry but can't think of anything else at the moment - I'm a painter but I'm not an artist :LOL:

These may help:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLITTER-DUST-...Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2a08143a8c
http://www.firwood.co.uk/webapp/wcs...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=26805

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I really like the look of that glitter, thankyou:D Sorry if I seemed awkward, that lino does look really nice down if you dont have fluffy cats lol! Thanks again:)

Ah, I see. Getting that sort finish on floorboards is going to be tricky.
Your second link doesn't work, so the only suggestion I can come up with is to paint the floor with a black gloss or satinwood and sprinkle some large glitter flakes onto it while the paint is still tacky. When it's totally dry (couple of days to be sure) apply a couple of coats of good qualiity High Gloss clear floor varnish over the top to seal it all in. Can't guarantee that the varnish won't affect the paint though.
Sorry but can't think of anything else at the moment - I'm a painter but I'm not an artist :LOL:

These may help:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLITTER-DUST-...Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2a08143a8c
http://www.firwood.co.uk/webapp/wcs...10001&catalogId=10001&productId=26805[/QUOTE]

OOPS! Tried to edit but quoted instead - well it is quite late!! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back