Gloss, Matt or other finish for Front Door/Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For interior walls and ceilings, a matt finish is often used.

For interior painted woodwork a gloss finish is often used.

What about:

a) the exterior side of a front door,
and,
b) exterior pipework/gutters/fascia boards

Matt, gloss, or other paint finish?

Sponsored Links
a) Traditionally, gloss.

b) Traditionally, gloss.

Interior walls and ceilings are often done in matt emulsion, or silk emulsion.

Interior woodwork is often gloss or satin.

Exterior woodwork and metalwork can be gloss or satin, though gloss generally looks better and is easier to clean.

a) Traditionally, gloss.

b) Traditionally, gloss.

In the twentieth century I'd agree gloss has been the norm and post war brilliant white gloss must be the most common. Prior to that less glossy surfaces seem to be the order of the day which is probably down to developments in the paint rather than any personal choices or fashions.
I've spent most of my working life in restoration and eggshells , satins and flat oil matts formed the bulk of finishes and that includes both interior and exterior. Perhaps that background explains why I prefer to lean towards the more subtle sheens and away from gloss. Growing up in a council house in the seventies I can clearly recall the front doors etc being repainted probably every four or five years. The council only had four colours , red , blue , yellow and green and all high gloss and a red door would never be repainted the same as the colours were rotated.
On a technical note , the lower sheen paints do tend to hide blemishes more than gloss which seems to highlight them. Or to put it another way it's possible to "get away with " a bit less preparation than would be needed with gloss which may explain the current vogue for using satins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back