Gloss panel door gone bad - what can I do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I decided to paint our panel doors and this particular door that I am having issues with, it had a wood oak effect before, I wasnt sure whether it was wood stained or whether that is the natural colour, I cant seem to remember.

All I seem to remember is that one side of the door has the wood effect and the other side was glossed. The side that is wooden, is the side which i applied 2 coats of undercoat to it, the first one did stick very well, but because i was still seeing some wood colour patch, I decided to give that side another coat of undercoat.

Now, I applied the final gloss finish on sunday and last night when I fitted the door back, it was peeling off, the gloss didnt appear to stick, when lifting the doors, my fingers were making a mark on it.

I used a scrapper to scrape off the excess gloss, its coming off like a nylon.

If I use my sander to try sand the door, its just soaking up more and more gloss and making it ineffective. One thing to remember is that I took the door out and painted it in my garage which may well have been too cold or maybe my technique was at fault here, any constructive advice would be appreciated as we have guests coming around this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• baddoor1.jpg
    baddoor1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 150
  • baddoor2.jpg
    baddoor2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 157
  • baddoor3.jpg
    baddoor3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 129
  • baddoor4.jpg
    baddoor4.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
Yes cold and damp weather is the worst to paint in, even indoors sometimes. I would strip using a hot air gun (assuming the gloss is oil based) then sand and treat with a primer for varnished surfaces like Zinsser Bullseye 123 before undercoating and top coating again indoors if possible when the weather is a little better. Sorry I can't suggest any quick fix. :(

It looks like you have used water based gloss. Water based need to be kept above a certain temperature throughout the drying process.

It may cure sufficiently enough to allow you to spot sand where required. Try some 180 grit silicon carbide paper in a few days. Waterbased paints are a nightmare to sand though. The paper often clogs and if too rough, the paper just rips the paint off the surface.

I abhor waterbased paints but if you use them, follow the temperature/humidity recommendations religiously.

Training a hot air fan on the doors may help speed things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back